Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saying that if you are looking at historical prestige the FA cup is up there with the league title

Comment

• Winning the F.A Cup in 97 at the time felt a lot bigger than winning the Champions' League in 2012.

But now with the financial incentives involved in the league and the champions' league it is not even close. You get Premiership relegation fodder devaluing the competition by playing weakened teams and you get semi finals at Wembley.

Man U also **** all over the competition by playing in that World Club Cup years ago and withdrawing from the competition.

I'd rank them:

1. Champions' League
      2. League
      3. Top 4
      4. Europa Cup
      5. F. A Cup

6. League Cup

Not even sure top 6 is worth it. As Liverpool have proved by not qualifying and having their best campaign for years in the league. Chelsea made less than £10 million winning the Europa League.
      Last edited by Sparked_26; 01-26-2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
        Winning the F.A Cup in 97 at the time felt a lot bigger than winning the Champions' League in 2012.

But now with the financial incentives involved in the league and the champions' league it is not even close. You get Premiership relegation fodder devaluing the competition by playing weakened teams and you get semi finals at Wembley.

Man U also **** all over the competition by playing in that World Club Cup years ago and withdrawing from the competition.

I'd rank them:

1. Champions' League
        2. League
        3. Top 4
        4. Europa Cup
        5. F. A Cup

6. League Cup

Not even sure top 6 is worth it. As Liverpool have proved by not qualifying and having their best campaign for years in the league. Chelsea made less than £10 million winning the Europa League.
        Surely winning the league is better than the CL, Sparked?

Its the ultimate grade of how good your team is imo

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Surely winning the league is better than the CL, Sparked?

Its the ultimate grade of how good your team is imo
          I think I disagree with nearly everyone in this thread about this one.

But the prestige and history of European Cup coupled with the sheer amount money involved in the Champions' League makes it the elite competition.

As a knockout competition though I definitely accept an element of luck is needed to win it.

The league determines who the best team is in England. But having two top teams pit their wits against each other for the biggest prize in football barring the World Cup is something special.

The league at the end of the day is a national title.

Comment

• Gimme the Johnstone's Paint over the league anyday.

Comment

• Originally posted by PrinceNaz88 View Post
              Gimme the Johnstone's Paint over the league anyday.
              That's real football!

In other news, Michael Essien has supposedly failed his medical at A.C Milan. What were A.C Milan thinking giving him a medical? Of course he failed his medical. There is a reason why Essien isn't a world class monster any more. It is because he has suffered two career ending cruciate ligament injuries and his knee is held together with prit stik. Essien is such a pro that he has managed to plug away when he should have retired in 2009.

Comment

• United have won the league so many times, that I now would pick winning the champions league over the league at the start of the season.

I want united to win at least a couple more champions league trophies in the next 5-10 years.

Though, winning the league and the champions league in the same season was an incredible achievement in 99 and 08. That really is the pinnacle.

Comment

• Money_May and Bully - do you reckon Rooney is worth £300 g's a week?

Seems absolutely mental if that is what he asking for. I don't think Chelsea can afford him better off leaving him alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                    Money_May and Bully - do you reckon Rooney is worth £300 g's a week?

Seems absolutely mental if that is what he asking for. I don't think Chelsea can afford him better off leaving him alone.
                    Nope, I think he'll sign the contract and fuck off in the next 6-18 months at a better price then we would have got if he was to leave with a year on his contract. Losing him for £20M would have been a joke.

With a 4 year contract behind him, you better believe United will get paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Money_May View Post
                      Nope, I think he'll sign the contract and fuck off in the next 6-18 months at a better price then we would have got if he was to leave with a year on his contract. Losing him for £20M would have been a joke.

With a 4 year contract behind him, you better believe United will get paid.
                      Who will pay for him? You'd have to pay him 300 grand a week and over 30 million to take him and he'll be nearly 30. It would ruin a club.

If he signs that contract Man U are surely going to have to stick with him.

Makes me think - could Man U get someone better?

Comment

Working...
                      X