Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who all here has even been to a boxing gym?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mostly trained at an mma gym, but I've competed in boxing, muay thai, jiu jistu, freestyle grappling and mma. I trained briefly at a boxing gym and a muay thai gym. I don't train much anymore tho...i suffered a back injury and I'm lazy.
    Last edited by Real King Kong; 03-10-2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Used to but once I got a solid enough grasp on the fundamentals that I felt like I could KO random guys on the street my interest started to wane. Never wanted to compete or make a career out of it.

Got into fencing and grappling more recently. IMO you shouldn't be taking regular blows to the head after your mid 20s, but I still need dueling to motivate me to work out.

Comment

The only times I went to a boxing gym was to watch pro fighters train for up coming fights at the main street gym in LA. I watched Ali and Jose Napoles train there and other top pros. I was drafted into the army for two years and was on the army boxing team in Korea. I fought at 156 pounds or light middleweight. It was amateur boxing and pro boxers could only instruct but not compete. We trained at the army gyms which were all around gyms for all the soldiers and not strictly a boxing gym. They had the punching bags and sometimes a boxing ring. I learned from the pro boxers. I sparred with one pro who was tricky enough that I could not land a punch on him at all. He wasn't throwing punches at me but he slipped all my punches. I was impressed and frustrated at the same time. The pros went out of their way to help us out. I saw some very good amateur boxers during my time in Korea. I am an old guy now but I still love boxing as much as ever and enjoy talking boxing on here. I still punch the heavy bag but I can't take the running any more and have to settle for fast walking. Being old stinks.

Comment

Working...
        X