Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — The Increasingly Invisible Roy Jones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — The Increasingly Invisible Roy Jones

by David P. Greisman - Time is unforgiving. Fortunately for the aging athlete, people are far more likely to buff away the tarnish and allow the luster of a legacy to linger.

Mike Tyson was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame and lauded for his pre-prison prominence — when he was the most-feared, most-famous heavyweight fighter around — and not for his many embarrassing moments from his last decade in the ring.

Michael Jordan was enshrined as the great six-time champion for the Chicago Bulls, not as the past-his-prime Washington Wizards player whose two seasons brought more losses than wins.

And for all of the oft-repeated stories about Willie Mays stumbling in the outfield or Brett Favre’s struggles at quarterback in his final few years, those end chapters of their careers become but footnotes, quickly read and recognized, informative yet inconsequential when compared to the greater story.

That doesn’t make watching those final chapters unfold any easier.

Perhaps it is better, then, that Roy Jones Jr. is becoming increasingly invisible as he becomes increasingly inconsequential, fighting on far smaller shows than he’d been accustomed to while winning world titles at middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight, and traveling outside of the United States to box in Australia, Russia and Poland, fighting in foreign countries for the first time since he’d been a 19-year-old amateur Olympian ripped off and robbed in South Korea. [Click Here To Read More]

Jones has joined the ranks of many former greats fighting on long after the sun has set on an illustrious career. The motive behind these sad incidents is often money or the case of old circus horses still wanting to smell the sawdust of the arena.

Boxing isn't a circus, although sometimes it looks like it, and it's certainly not like basketball or baseball. Boxing is a sport where health is on the line and that is the major reason why it's so sad when former greats fights on while being a shell of their former self. In Jones case retirement is long overdue. Somebody from his family or team should tell him that they won't be part of this anymore. Jones is an accident waiting to happen and the long-term effects of his act surely cannot be worth the short-term fiscal gains.

Comment

I have a sad feeling that Jones will end up with long term damage from the continous punishment he takes at this age.

Comment

ROY JONES JR. thank you;to the people:YOU'LL MUST HAVE FORGOT!!!

Comment

he is broke. what else can he do??

Comment

It hurts me watching him go down this road, it really is painful to watch...

Comment

What's the real story with Jones? Does he just fight for the money and does he need that bad? He lived his whole life low-key in Pensacola made outside money with broadcasting and endorsements. He grossed big dollars in his day is it really all gone? I never see that reason of his continuing.

Comment

i doubt he really needs the money that bad i may be wrong but roy doesn't come across as the kind of guy to blow all of what he has earned in his career so far

these roy jones pieces are getting very tiresome I for one am happy he won haven't seen the fight and frankly dont need to

when i went on boxrec and saw that he didnt have the red KO/TKO by him that was enough for me and he says retirement is coming soon so hopefully he only has a few more fights

people seem to almost revel in the fact that he is on such a decline don't need to read another piece stating the obvious facts

just let the man do him ffs and STFU

Comment

Originally posted by ghost deini View Post
                  i doubt he really needs the money that bad i may be wrong but roy doesn't come across as the kind of guy to blow all of what he has earned in his career so far

these roy jones pieces are getting very tiresome I for one am happy he won haven't seen the fight and frankly dont need to

when i went on boxrec and saw that he didnt have the red KO/TKO by him that was enough for me and he says retirement is coming soon so hopefully he only has a few more fights

people seem to almost revel in the fact that he is on such a decline don't need to read another piece stating the obvious facts

just let the man do him ffs and STFU
                  Yeah, I hate it when people write about what's happening in the sport...

-David
                  Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/fightingwords2
                  Or "Like" my boxing writing page on Facebook at facebook.com/fightingwordsboxing

Comment

people are so quick to assume an old fighter is broke. roy is set for life. he has acres and acres of farmland he a country boy dont need alot. he does it for the love of the sport. something pac and may know nothing about.

Comment

Working...
                    X