No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. Dmitry Pirog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
    Oh, this fight is happening? Didn't know that. That's awesome. One of the best middleweight fights in quite some time to be honest.
    And it's scheduled to be televised on HBO August 25.

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=645184

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
    Winner should fight Martinez.
    Most definitely.

Comment

I really don't know who to pick in this fight. I'm just pretty sure this fight can and probably will produce fireworks.

It's just that Golovkin is more of an unknown commodity right now, I mean he's looked like the goods but not against very good opposition, the best fighter he's fought is probably Kassim Ouma and Ouma went 10 rounds with him.

Pirog is the more known fighter, he's shown a bit more against better level of opposition. He's a tricky fighter in the ring, I really like how he throws pitter patter shots to keep himself and the opponents busy and then all of a sudden throw a hard, powerful shot when his opponents don't expect it.

So yeah, I don't really know who to pick. I might be leaning to Pirog because he's more proven.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        I really don't know who to pick in this fight. I'm just pretty sure this fight can and probably will produce fireworks.

It's just that Golovkin is more of an unknown commodity right now, I mean he's looked like the goods but not against very good opposition, the best fighter he's fought is probably Kassim Ouma and Ouma went 10 rounds with him.

Pirog is the more known fighter, he's shown a bit more against better level of opposition. He's a tricky fighter in the ring, I really like how he throws pitter patter shots to keep himself and the opponents busy and then all of a sudden throw a hard, powerful shot when his opponents don't expect it.

So yeah, I don't really know who to pick. I might be leaning to Pirog because he's more proven.
        Ouma has one of the best chins in boxing to be fair. It did go 10 rounds but he was eventually stopped, and he had to go to hospital after that fight. Golvolkin is ready to go into a big championship fight right now even if he is somewhat unproven with the names on his resume, his pedigree and what he's shown so far is enough to convince he he won't be out of his depth.

Like you said though Pirog is tricky and unique, even with all the amateur and pro experience thus far, Golvolkin will never have seen a guy quite like Pirog so it makes this fight really interesting and Im glad HBO will be showing it.....both of these guys have a style that will translate to US fans

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          Who will win this important middleweight matchup?

By KO or by decision?

the polls!

the polls have returned!

golovkin!
          cant wait for this one. put it on the big american networks, damnit!

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
            Ouma has one of the best chins in boxing to be fair. It did go 10 rounds but he was eventually stopped, and he had to go to hospital after that fight. Golvolkin is ready to go into a big championship fight right now even if he is somewhat unproven with the names on his resume, his pedigree and what he's shown so far is enough to convince he he won't be out of his depth.

Like you said though Pirog is tricky and unique, even with all the amateur and pro experience thus far, Golvolkin will never have seen a guy quite like Pirog so it makes this fight really interesting and Im glad HBO will be showing it.....both of these guys have a style that will translate to US fans
            Indeed, I'm just looking forward to the fight. I doubt it will disappoint.

Comment

So Golovkin is fighting Pirog...Sturm is fighting Geale...and the champ is begging to fight the weakest titlist in the division.

Yeah.

That's a good look.

I like Golovkin but it's a tough fight. I think Sturm-Geale is pick em.

Comment

Tough to call, but I like Golovkin by KO if I'm forced to pick.

Comment

I'm trying to find a place to bet on GG.... he has this IMO

Comment

i think it's a hard fight to predict. i can see pirog getting a decision and golovkin getting a stoppage. i think if pirog does win, it'll be by decision. i don't see him stopping gennady for some reason. that said, i favor golovkin slightly but i think pirog will frustrate golovkin and might be the busier and more accurate of the two. all i know is i can't wait for this fight to happen. only letdown in this fight is that pirog's wbo belt isn't on the line. if he loses, he is still the champ, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy91 View Post
                      i think it's a hard fight to predict. i can see pirog getting a decision and golovkin getting a stoppage. i think if pirog does win, it'll be by decision. i don't see him stopping gennady for some reason. that said, i favor golovkin slightly but i think pirog will frustrate golovkin and might be the busier and more accurate of the two. all i know is i can't wait for this fight to happen. only letdown in this fight is that pirog's wbo belt isn't on the line. if he loses, he is still the champ, haha.
                      No, he'd be giving up his belt. Remember the WBO were gonna strip him unless he fought NJikam, who just fell into an interim belt in sketchy circumstances

Comment

Working...
                      X