Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn vs Julian Jackson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nigel by ko 5. He was a better boxer. Jackson had a bad chin, Nigel's chin was better. Not great but still better.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 05-09-2011, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
      Nigel by ko 5. He was a better boxer. Jackson had a bad chin, Nigel's chin was better. Not great but still better.
      That sounds about right, as far as most likely, but maybe not by much.

Of course, Jackson showed that he could be getting pounded, but unless he was down and out, one could come from nowhere when you least expect it, and KO his opponent. Was that Herol?

Which ever way, likely an early KO.

Comment

This would of been one hell of a fight guys..and is pretty much 50/50 in my book,i went with Benn tho as he beat better opponents than the hawk ...

Comment

Benn was an awful boxer. No jab, no defense, wild and wide with most of his work and his head movement consisted of ducking down so low his a55 was almost touching the canvas! He relied on his power, and a big pair of balls and it took him a lot further than his actual boxing ability ever could have.

On the subject of chins though, I think you're right. A common opponent with truly world class power? Gerald McClellan. Benn survived barely, Jackson got blown away.

I fancy Jackson by mid round KO. Benn was too wild and loaded up on everything. Julian Jackson was a competent boxer as well as a big puncher so all needs to do is keep his hands high, his chin low and wait for the right opening. One well placed right hand later.......

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Da Maori View Post
            Benn was an awful boxer. No jab, no defense, wild and wide with most of his work and his head movement consisted of ducking down so low his a55 was almost touching the canvas! He relied on his power, and a big pair of balls and it took him a lot further than his actual boxing ability ever could have.

On the subject of chins though, I think you're right. A common opponent with truly world class power? Gerald McClellan. Benn survived barely, Jackson got blown away.

I fancy Jackson by mid round KO. Benn was too wild and loaded up on everything. Julian Jackson was a competent boxer as well as a big puncher so all needs to do is keep his hands high, his chin low and wait for the right opening. One well placed right hand later.......
            If Benn was such a terrible boxer, then how come got a draw with Eubank that shoulda been a victory for him (Benn)?? You know who Chris Eubank was and what he was capable of as a boxer. Now stop talking complete bs and go watch some Benn fights!

Comment

Well you indirectly bring up a hidden factor.

When needed, Benn was willing to get dirty.
              With McClellan, I saw many rabbit punches. Together with a horrible home ref, led to the demise of McClellan. He said as early as the 2nd round he could not comprehend his corner's instructions.

So maybe this matchup--like many--would come down to where it was held.

And I thought you might be kidding, but I looked up Papatoetoe, NZ. A real town near Auckland. Been there--was very nice along with the people. Wish I were there instead...

But it's nearly a boxing name as in toe to toe.

Comment

If Benn was such a terrible boxer, then how come got a draw with Eubank that shoulda been a victory for him (Benn)?? You know who Chris Eubank was and what he was capable of as a boxer. Now stop talking complete bs and go watch some Benn fights!

Getting a draw with Eubank somehow qualifies Benn as a capable boxer? Hmmm. And I'm the tool?

He was a big puncher, not a boxer. If you'd seen more than few YouTube highlight vids then you'd know this already. You might wanna watch a few more (complete) fights yourself there Princess... Why not start with Watson vs Benn? It's a prime example of the difference between a boxer and a puncher and clearly demonstrates how little technique Benn had.

Comment

Originally posted by physiker View Post
                  Well you indirectly bring up a hidden factor.

When needed, Benn was willing to get dirty.
                  With McClellan, I saw many rabbit punches. Together with a horrible home ref, led to the demise of McClellan. He said as early as the 2nd round he could not comprehend his corner's instructions.

So maybe this matchup--like many--would come down to where it was held.

And I thought you might be kidding, but I looked up Papatoetoe, NZ. A real town near Auckland. Been there--was very nice along with the people. Wish I were there instead...

But it's nearly a boxing name as in toe to toe.
                  Papatoetoe (papa 2 toes to us locals) is a suburb of Auckland bro, it's about 20 mins from the CBD. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Good point with the dirty tactics too bro, Benn was never shy about using any means necessary so the venue could indeed be a factor. Oakland, CA seems to be a good venue for fighters who want to use as many illegal tactics as possible and go unpunished.... Ask anyone who's been in with Andre Ward!!

Comment

Getting a draw with Eubank somehow qualifies Benn as a capable boxer? Hmmm. And I'm the tool?

He was a big puncher, not a boxer. If you'd seen more than few YouTube highlight vids then you'd know this already. You might wanna watch a few more (complete) fights yourself there Princess... Why not start with Watson vs Benn? It's a prime example of the difference between a boxer and a puncher and clearly demonstrates how little technique Benn had.
                    I've seen his fights with Eubank, Doug DeWitt, McClellan, Nicky Piper, Michael Watson, Iran Barkley and Steve Collins. Now I seriously suggest you fak off.

Benn outpunched himself against Watson btw. And the ref stopped it too soon, Benn was on his feet and obviously ready to go on. Another bs English stoppage. But I know Watson would get to him anyway. Benn's technique improved a lot after that fight, when he realised he can't just knock everybody out. In the first Eubank fight he was in bad shape and gassed out.

Comment

Papatoetoe (papa 2 toes to us locals) is a suburb of Auckland bro, it's about 20 mins from the CBD. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

Good point with the dirty tactics too bro, Benn was never shy about using any means necessary so the venue could indeed be a factor. Oakland, CA seems to be a good venue for fighters who want to use as many illegal tactics as possible and go unpunished.... Ask anyone who's been in with Andre Ward!!
                      LOL about Oakland.
                      But it does seem to be a worldwide phenomenon that I call home cooking.

I agree about Ward. Just can't be a fan of someone who'll either hold all night or head butt his way to victory. Unless he is fighting a fellow traveler.

I'd love to see Ward vs Hopkins. Could be the first double KD from simultaneous head butts. Ward is younger, he'd get up first and win.

Comment

Working...
                      X