No announcement yet.

Are big gloves causing brain damage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are big gloves causing brain damage?

I have read this a number of times. It seems to make sense that more pressure would go to the brain with less abuse on the face, making for longer fights that would otherwise be ended. This allows for long beatings instead of quick knockouts which leads to more damage to a fighter's health. I'm not sure what size would be right, but smaller than they wear now for sure. Maybe six ounce.

I don't think 6 ounce gloves for Heavyweights would be any safer.

Comment

Taking punches to the head causes brain damage, PERIOD. It doesn't matter what gloves you're wearing.

Comment

gloves are to protect the hands not brain.

Comment

The smaller the gloves, the even less amount of force is absorbed and as a result more power is taken by the skill. Big gloves are the reason amateur boxers are not punch drunk. They if anything decrease the risk of brain damage.
          Last edited by SalimShady1212; 03-27-2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady96 View Post
            The gloves smaller the gloves, the even lesst amoun of forxe is absorbed and as a reult more power os taken by the skill. Big gloves are the reason amateur boxers are not punch drunk. Thy if anything decrease te risk of brain damage.
            Yeah and that's why in sparring 16oz is used, cause you're not supposed to get hit hard in sparring.

Comment

most of the brain damage comes from sparring and they wear bigger gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by BTL View Post
                most of the brain damage comes from sparring and they wear bigger gloves.
                Can you show any scientific study to back this up? Just link me to any reputable, large research that was made on the damage of sparring and how brain damages are caused there. Thanks.

Comment

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0IW0N620141112

Read this. It's possible that bigger gloves may have the same exact effect as headgear. Either way it's boxing and you are going to get damaged if you get hit. As a human being it's your choice to become a fighter or not so let's not dummy up the sport too much like the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                  X