No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Andrew Flintoff, Dawson Face Off at Weigh-In

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Andrew Flintoff, Dawson Face Off at Weigh-In

Former England cricketer turned professional boxer Andrew Flintoff (L) and US boxer Richard Dawson pose for pictures following a press conference at the MEN Arena in Manchester, north-west England. 'Freddie, as he is known to cricket lovers around the world, will break new ground when the 34-year-old squares up to Dawson in a four-round heavyweight boxing contest at Manchester Arena for his first professional bout. Flintoff, who has lost three-and-a-half stone for the bout, weighed in today at 216lb, considerably lighter than the slightly shorter Dawson who tipped the scales at 241lb. [Click Here To Read More]

They didn't mail him in to win did they? Or are they testing this "cricket" player? Honestly this could only interest the two fighters, most likely only one!
    Ray.

Comment

At least Flintoff came in good shape, even cricketers take heavyweight boxing more seriously than the actual fighter. To be honest Flintoff was a great cricketer when he played but I don't know how he will do in the ring against an "actual" opponent with the tinniest amount of talent and experience. This guy is probably here to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbrain28 View Post
        At least Flintoff came in good shape, even cricketers take heavyweight boxing more seriously than the actual fighter. To be honest Flintoff was a great cricketer when he played but I don't know how he will do in the ring against an "actual" opponent with the tinniest amount of talent and experience. This guy is probably here to lose.
        I watched the first episode of the TV series "From Lord's to the Ring" and despite the cynicism that's been surrounding his boxing debut, I actually found it quite inspiring. I don't think 8 months is even close to enough time to be ready to box professionally(no matter who you have in your corner) but I hope he does well. A lot of the footage they used in the first episode was from 4 months ago so when the next episode airs this evening I expect to have a more accurate idea of how he'll perform.

Comment

I don't see the big deal about Freddie's pro debut, and the fears he's gonna get "killed" etc. What people don't realise is that pro-boxing is a wide spectrum of talent. I have never boxed in my life - but I'm fit and strong; I bet somewhere on this planet there's a so-called 'pro' I could beat...

Comment

Been watching the program on the lead up and it's pretty good. Some of the stuff he's done, shows he's pretty dedicated.

I don't get why he lost quite so much weight. 216 lbs?

Sheesh, for such a massive guy surely he coulda lost weight less severely, and been good at around 225?

Comment

Why get this guy from the states? surely there are enough novice or journeymen HW's in britain.

Comment

On topic, I think he'll do ok in this fight. He has worked his socks off, taken the whacks in sparring and kept going. As someone that has boxed, I know that its not for the faint hearted and whether it is a gimmick or not, nobody seems to have told Freddie. The biggest enemy on the night will be nerves, if he can overcome those he will be fine. The guy is a fierce competitor and will give it everything he has.

Comment

Expecting and hoping he get's knocked out.

How many rounds is it?

Comment

I lost a bit of respect for him when he retired from Test Cricket to play T/20 for the money saying he wasnt fit enough to play Test but I hope he doesnt get hurt either lol
                    Maybe he could fight Matthew Hayden one day

Comment

Working...
                    X