Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever prune Facebook friends on the basis of their politics?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever prune Facebook friends on the basis of their politics?

I was thinking of this after the WWIII that was "ignoregate".

Sometimes you'll log on your Facebook feed, and vague friends who you considered to be upstanding guys will suddenly be posting news stories from right-wing newsites and giving it a thumbsup. You think they're a regular joe, and all of a sudden they're sharing a story called "send them all back where they came from" and saying stuff like "this is Engurlund!!! There's no black in the Union Jack!!!"

It's a hard one, because you have to have people with differences of opinion, and you don't want to shut anyone down, but at the same time, do you really want to see Facebook feeds about far right organisations?

Here's the system I normally use to decide whether to prune them or not:

Have they posted up stories from far-right organisations? Yes/No

If "Yes", do they have big ****?

If the second one's a yes, I normally let it pass.

I unfriended someone once because of their racist rants against Jews. I respect differing views/opinions but not overt racism.

Comment

I unfriended a previous sexual acquaintance since she doesn't seem interested anymore.

Btw, tout est politique which makes my post valid.
      Last edited by Weltschmerz; 02-13-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

not friends but a couple of college mates are really right winged. they post constantly about the guy who won the elections last november, the guy already fired 50 thousands public employees in 50 days.

but i passed a couple tough of subjects thanks to them, basically they did the entire work for me. so i just ignore them

Comment

Yeah, I sometimes unfollow people in my feed, but keep them as friends (such as the girl who felt the need to post EVERYTHING she was doing, like a minute-by-minute update) but I don't want it to reflect on me if I have racist friends.

Comment

If anything, most of my friends are left wing, and the ones who aren't are hiding it on FB. I have a friend who is most definitely right wing, but he doesn't have a FB account anyway.

Comment

The left is pushing anti free speech policies, and proudly I might add. I know a lot of classical liberals who are jumping ship from the establishment left. Not defending the racist strain that is in the deep recesses of the right, but the left is giving reasonable people no choice.

Comment

Weltz - I've mainly found it with old school friends that I've hooked up with. Just sitting there painting, 12 years old, it never occurred to me that hte guy with me was about to vote BNP when he left school. Never came up.

Originally posted by Canelo Phresh View Post
                The left is pushing anti free speech policies, and proudly I might add. I know a lot of classical liberals who are jumping ship from the establishment left. Not defending the racist strain that is in the deep recesses of the right, but the left is giving reasonable people no choice.
                Yes, although I'm to the left, I do hate the somewhat knee jerk reaction of certain liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                  Weltz - I've mainly found it with old school friends that I've hooked up with. Just sitting there painting, 12 years old, it never occurred to me that hte guy with me was about to vote BNP when he left school. Never came up.

Yes, although I'm to the left, I do hate the somewhat knee jerk reaction of certain liberals.
                  I'm a libertarian right, and am looked at as suspect by both sides. I will say the left is more open to debate on FB than the right. You have to speak to both sides. I have noticed a bizarre antisemitism on both sides though.

Comment

When I see thugs pushing for the legalization of weed I unfriend them and call the police.

Comment

Working...
                    X