Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't Roy's Commentator Salary Enough To Retire From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's walking away from the fame that I think is hard for him or any athlete. I remember reading in 2012 that the guy was worth like 45 million so it's not about the money.

Comment

I think people who haven't made much money look at it differently. Is 300k a year enough?
      Probably for most people who never had it.
      But for someone used to it and used to a different lifestyle, it's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
        They must be paying an upper middle class wage so why continue boxing especially when he's getting ****ed up at this stage.

SRL was able so financially sustain himself as a retired boxer by commentating
        I doubt it how often odes he do a fight every 2 months probably get 2 or 3 thousand per fight

Comment

I imagine it's a mixture of debt (taxes, etc), lifestyle change, and purpose that keeps him going. As was stated previously, sometimes people accustomed to a certain kind of lifestyle have a "hard time" coping with change. I've met someone who previously had an incredibly well-paying job, now receiving retirement money from it, and he complained about the change in lifestyle almost as if it were poverty. The main argument to the complaints was that his wife was accustomed to buying a lot of things for herself, and that now he had to fork over his part-time job money to keep her at bay. Essentially, he claimed that what he had now wasn't enough to live comfortably anymore.

From my point of view, this was ridiculous. The person had made more money than I will likely ever see in my own lifetime, and although retirement checks were still there, it was as if life were unbearable for him economically. The only conclusion I can come to is that people forget what the real world is like sometimes when they have money. They forget that money is safeguarded for the rich, by the rich, and that it's not something easy to come by. They feel a part of that class and fail to understand how lucky they have been. I mean, how else do you explain complaining about struggling to fund a shopping addiction? And this was a decent guy, by the way, which makes it all the more surprising.

Additionally, in Roy Jones' case, boxing is all he knows, for the most part. Letting a successful career go is something all humans struggle with. I mean, what's left? Retirement? The slow ride to inevitable death? Accepting that is tantamount to accepting life is over, from his point of view. Of course, we know it's an exaggeration, and that, like George Foreman, he could find creative ways of having a life after boxing. But, that's how many boxers feel. A life without purpose is hard to live.
          Last edited by SunSpace; 12-22-2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Well the Russians give him big paydays, so why not. He should just have taken a dive with Maccarinelli rather than getting KO'd like that.

Comment

Working...
            X