Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
    Fighting Sports or Winning.

Title Boxing Dot Com
    Those fighting sports gloves are not nice to get it with at all.

Good quality gloves. Great for bagwork and padwork though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
      Ray / Cuauhtémoc1520

Been thinking about the following recently and my experience tends not to follow conventional wisdom.

I have done several hundred rounds with one of our seniors boxer and he usually wears 16 oz gloves. However, his car is off the road at the moment so he has been running to the gym and leaving his kit bag at home - I have been loaning him my sons 12 oz to spar with me in for the last couple of weeks.

He's a strong lad and I really feel it when he lands with the 16 oz. However, with the 12 oz gloves his shots just don't seem quite as bad.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense: Which would do the most damage ? A 2lb lump hammer or a 10 lb lump hammer?

I know the amount of padding obviously is an important factor but still I can definitely tell the difference between the 12 oz and the 16 oz gloves - and I definitely prefer to be hit with the 12 oz'ers.

Also, I can tell the difference in power when holding the mitts depending on glove size. I have held the mitts for my lad for hundreds of rounds in the 12 oz gloves but he sometimes wears 14 oz (which actually weight 15 oz on the scales) and his punches definitely seem harder with the 14 oz gloves.

Thing is, I am almost convinced heavier gloves result in more momentum but almost everyone in the boxing world tends to disagree - so on that basis I'm probably wrong haha but I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts on this?
      I have to disagree somewhat.. When you buy gloves, there are bag gloves and sparring gloves right?

If you feel the bag gloves, they are more condense in the padding, harder at the point of impact. Reason being is because they are made to protect the hand, not the bag.

Sparring gloves are bigger and heavier yes, but they are soft at the point of impact. They are made to not cut you and so you don't feel the knuckles through the glove.

I would never let someone spar with 12oz gloves in my gym, simply because your hands are incredibly light and you can feel the knuckles through the glove and we don't want to get more cuts than we already get.

There's a reason every gym in the world spars with bigger gloves, yes they are heavier and I might agree with you they cause more concussive force but the smaller gloves are more dangerous because of the raw impact of the knuckles through the gloves.

I was recently sent a memo by USA boxing that they are considering getting rid of headgear because they found it causes more concussions in tests they have done. So I do think you have a point but again, I'm more concerned with cuts and force of impact with the knuckles.

Comment

What Region do you box in?

Comment

I basically agree with this guy. I never seen his videos but stumbled on it when you asked this question and I agree with him 100%.

What he says about the MMA brands is so true as well. We have some guys sparring with MMA brand glove (Hyabusa, Fairtex, Twins, Venom) and they are HARD like a rock.

Not good for teaching, and protecting you're boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            I have to disagree somewhat.. When you buy gloves, there are bag gloves and sparring gloves right?

If you feel the bag gloves, they are more condense in the padding, harder at the point of impact. Reason being is because they are made to protect the hand, not the bag.

Sparring gloves are bigger and heavier yes, but they are soft at the point of impact. They are made to not cut you and so you don't feel the knuckles through the glove.

I would never let someone spar with 12oz gloves in my gym, simply because your hands are incredibly light and you can feel the knuckles through the glove and we don't want to get more cuts than we already get.

There's a reason every gym in the world spars with bigger gloves, yes they are heavier and I might agree with you they cause more concussive force but the smaller gloves are more dangerous because of the raw impact of the knuckles through the gloves.

I was recently sent a memo by USA boxing that they are considering getting rid of headgear because they found it causes more concussions in tests they have done. So I do think you have a point but again, I'm more concerned with cuts and force of impact with the knuckles.
            Yes mate. I see what you are saying regarding feeling the knuckles with smaller gloves especially with older gloves once the padding softens.

However, take for example a brand new pair of AIBA approved top-ten, everlast or addidas competition 10/12 oz gloves, with these gloves the padding is such that you wouldn't feel the knuckles impact except in very extreme case (i.e. very big punchers in the heavier weight classes).

If lighter gloves do reduce the concussive impact and certain brands are sufficiently padded so as not to allow the knuckles not to be felt (and cause cuts) then would they be safer?

I'm sure someone will have done a study on this and I may well be wrong? Just throwing my thoughts out for the sake of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseH View Post
              I'm new to boxing and when I sparred with the gym's gloves, they felt giant and clunky. It wasn't so much about the weight of the gloves but the actual mass of them.

I'd prefer to have my own gear in general, so what would be the best sparring gloves that aren't giant and clunky but still are safe and weigh 16oz?

For reference, I'm 170lbs and 5'9.

Thanks for the help!
              Zepol gloves would be your best bet. Slim profile, compact, yet has a nice soft springy foam over the knuckles.

They are about the price of Cleto Reyes, but you can get custom colors, so that's a bonus.

Comment

I have to disagree with the notion that being hit by a 6oz glove is better than being hit with a 16 oz glove.

When dealing with such an absorbing light substance, such as found in the gloves, 10 ounces of this cushion will not produce momentum the same as a 10 lb mass of the padding.

It's actually comical what was implied earlier when being hit by a 6ozer compared to a 16ozer is night and day, literally in many cases.

For any of you kiddies at home taking in this thread, do not rely on a 6oz glove causing less damage than a 16oz glove, EVER!!!

As for gloves, if they are still making Ringside Mexican 16 ozers get those.
                ...............Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Rockin' the topic was comparing based 16oz spar with 14oz and 18 to 20oz. I think I mentioned that sparring in light sessions with guys who know how to work together you can wear fight gloves and your safe!
                  I prefer 14oz over 16/18 thats just my preference. I also think that heavy handed guys don't need any "horse haired" 18oz gloves in their paws!!! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Rockin' the topic was comparing based 16oz spar with 14oz and 18 to 20oz. I think I mentioned that sparring in light sessions with guys who know how to work together you can wear fight gloves and your safe!
                    I prefer 14oz over 16/18 thats just my preference. I also think that heavy handed guys don't need any "horse haired" 18oz gloves in their paws!!! Ray
                    My reply to the 'comical part' was to The Authoritie.

I would never let anybody spar me with 14ozers. 16 or go home. 18-20ozers are just too big and slow down your rythme. If a sparring partner wanted to wear 18-20ozers though I would have no problem with that...... Rockin'

Comment

One thing I'm still confused about is people saying some gloves are "lighter". 16oz is 16oz, no? One thing that would make sense is the shape of the glove, since it would allow it to "cut" through the air easier, right?

The winning gloves look to be rounder shaped than some gloves.

Comment

Working...
                      X