Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate the entertainment value of Kovalev vs Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
    I give it a 6/10, I'd say that's a fair rating 7 would be good.
    I think Kovalev done his part I'd have liked to seen Ward do more he didn't do enough for me as a challenger it's not enough to just throw a jab here and there you need to mount a bit of an offensive.

I think this overall PPV event was a 4/10 though, it wasn't PPV worthy and yeah I'm glad I didn't purchase Skysports to watch it not type of fight you pay for definitely a streaming job.
    I pretty much agree with this...although i think kovalev was also to blame with his excessive clinching. It was like the inside was this mythical place that he darecnot go.

Comment

it was a 6, and thats closer to a 5 then a 7. people giving it a 9 or 10 are deluded, wont be on any fight of the year shortlists thats for sure. just cause two top fighters were in there doesnt mean it was a top fight. there were very few clean shots landed, a fight with very few clean shots landed cant be a great fight. It was intruguing yes, but the way to view this, is if you hadnt heard of either fighter, would you be saying it was a great fight? Cause thats how to view it objectively. I think people are really kidding themselves when they say this was a great event, seen more 'rip boxing' posts online due it being uneventful and robbery, rather than people saying 'wow what a great night'. i dont think it was that bad, certainly wasnt a stinker but it wasnt great

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
        For reviewing purpose I would watch it but not for the sake of wanting to watch it, I did enjoy Kovalev boxing he was very well tuned in for this fight and he gave Ward a good bit of a schooling from the outside.
        Agree. If you're a student/practitioner of the game it's a solid fight to review.

I had low expectations of the match coming in and it turned out to be an intriguing match.

Definitely looking forward to a rematch though.

Comment

It was a real solid fight. Not my FOTY or anything like that, but it was two highly skilled guys thinking in there and showing their high boxing IQ.

It was a good fight to watch, it had me engaged and i was pretty tense through-out.
          Last edited by Chrismart; 11-20-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
            it was a 6, and thats closer to a 5 then a 7. people giving it a 9 or 10 are deluded, wont be on any fight of the year shortlists thats for sure. just cause two top fighters were in there doesnt mean it was a top fight. there were very few clean shots landed, a fight with very few clean shots landed cant be a great fight. It was intruguing yes, but the way to view this, is if you hadnt heard of either fighter, would you be saying it was a great fight? Cause thats how to view it objectively. I think people are really kidding themselves when they say this was a great event, seen more 'rip boxing' posts online due it being uneventful and robbery, rather than people saying 'wow what a great night'. i dont think it was that bad, certainly wasnt a stinker but it wasnt great
            Spoken like a true casual. Entertainment is different to different people, for example, all the people who box here found this fight fascinating, whereas someone who only has a passing interest or has never been in the ring would most likely find it ordinary.

I thought it was brilliant, because it was being fought at a rarified level, yes if you hadn't heard of either fighter you would think it was nothing special, but I have heard of both and we know what they to do even very good fighters. The fact that they stalemated each other so much is what made it such a great watch.

The nuances, the tension, the tentativeness, and the technical level was what made it very good for a lot of us. The fact that neither guy could get a handle on the other is what it is.

Comment

9/10 - It was an intense fight, you could not look away for the first 8 rounds. I'd give it FOTY too, not because of the action but because of the quality.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                Spoken like a true casual. Entertainment is different to different people, for example, all the people who box here found this fight fascinating, whereas someone who only has a passing interest or has never been in the ring would most likely find it ordinary.

I thought it was brilliant, because it was being fought at a rarified level, yes if you hadn't heard of either fighter you would think it was nothing special, but I have heard of both and we know what they to do even very good fighters. The fact that they stalemated each other so much is what made it such a great watch.

The nuances, the tension, the tentativeness, and the technical level was what made it very good for a lot of us. The fact that neither guy could get a handle on the other is what it is.
                well i dont have a passing interest and ive been in the ring. you can find high technical ability in many fights but the good ones usually have action. Santa cruz and frampton were world class fighters and that was what i call a fight of the year contender, not ward v kovalev. Cant see there were many moments where i was out of my chair. All them words, 'tension, tentativeness' are code words for not much happening. As i said, people had made their minds up before this fight that it was going to be a brilliant night for boxing, i dread to think how high you lot would have been rating it if there was combos landing, if this is how high you rate it cause a few jabs got through occasionally. if it makes me a casual to enjoy shots being landed then so be it lol. it was hardly a marquez pacquiao was it.

Comment

I still think Salido/Vargas is fight of the year so far but this fight had more drama for me. I'd give this fight a 10 on first viewing. I doubt I'll watch it again because I think it was a bad decision and rewatching it will only piss me off again.

Kinda like Castillo/Corrales, I turn it off after the 2nd Corrales KD.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    Solid 8 or 9, and I'm only docking points because I know casual fans may want more excitement than this. From a pure analytical standpoint, as a hardcore fan, this was a 10.
                    I couldn't agree more. Knowing the danger both fighters faced and how they responded, it was 10/10. It felt like the first round of May/Pac for every round.

Comment

7/10

would have preferred less grappling and more punch variation

Comment

Working...
                      X