No announcement yet.

When cherry picks go wrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When cherry picks go wrong

So in light of Garcia vs Salka, I'm sure a lot of us are hoping Salka wins just for the lulz, but what are some great examples of cherry picks backfiring?

Obviously Oscar de la hoya fighting a 135 pound Pacquiao is is one of the biggest high profile cherry picks gone wrong in recent times. What are your favorites?

Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto lol. When cherry picks go very wrong.
    Last edited by CubanBox; 08-01-2014, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Would be so damn funny.... given he dragged him up 2 weightclasses and the biggest upset in everybodies mind is him lasting the distance so far.

Hope Salka makes this guy look like a fool

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
        So in light of Garcia vs Salka, I'm sure a lot of us are hoping Salka wins just for the lulz, but what are some great examples of cherry picks backfiring?

Obviously Oscar de la hoya fighting a 135 pound Pacquiao is is one of the biggest high profile cherry picks gone wrong in recent times. What are your favorites?
        see, we start off on the wrong foot if your example isn't a good one. DLH was over the hill when Floyd fought him, nevermind Manny, a prime DLH beats both.

Recent cherrypicks gone wrong are Ruslan vs Algieri, aleem vs rojas, mayweather vs maidana, and broner vs maidana.

Comment

Roy jones vs glen johnson

Tyson vs buster

Rahman vs Lennox 1

Comment

Originally posted by CubanBox View Post
            Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto lol
            That's gotta rank top 5 past 10 years I reckon!

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
              see, we start off on the wrong foot if your example isn't a good one. DLH was over the hill when Floyd fought him, nevermind Manny, a prime DLH beats both.

Recent cherrypicks gone wrong are Ruslan vs Algieri, aleem vs rojas, mayweather vs maidana, and broner vs maidana.
              I really don't consider broner vs Maidana a cherrypick for either guy

Comment

Originally posted by CubanBox View Post
                Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto lol. When cherry picks go very wrong.
                That's gotta rank top 5 past 10 years I reckon!
                That's not a cherry pick either way, be serious now.
                Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                I really don't consider broner vs Maidana a cherrypick for either guy
                Broner absolutely was trying to cherrypick an easy win, and everyone here expected Maidana to get his ears boxed off except for like 6 of us lol.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

That's in hindsight though. He obviously wasn't THAT over the hill against Floyd, it was competitive. Now remember, everyone wanted Oscar to fight Margarito or Cotto, everyone was calling for it. Oscar went as far to say he wouldn't fight Cotto because his wife is Puerto Rican lol. Oscar was a 4-1 favorite. Many, many people predicted a KO. Even a congressman in the Philippines triee to make a petition to stop the fight because he feared for his life.

Looking back, yeah It's easy to see Oscar was past it, but at the time that was a huge cherry pick!

Comment

That's in hindsight though. He obviously wasn't THAT over the hill against Floyd, it was competitive. Now remember, everyone wanted Oscar to fight Margarito or Cotto, everyone was calling for it. Oscar went as far to say he wouldn't fight Cotto because his wife is Puerto Rican lol. Oscar was a 4-1 favorite. Many, many people predicted a KO. Even a congressman in the Philippines triee to make a petition to stop the fight because he feared for his life.

Looking back, yeah It's easy to see Oscar was past it, but at the time that was a huge cherry pick!
                    It was competitive because that's how good of a fighter he once was, we were seeing the remnants of. The same people who thought that version of DLH would beat that version of Manny are probably the same people who thought Maidana would get gatti'd, Canelo would beat Floyd, and Gatti would beat Floyd. In otherwords, people who DKSAB. DLH was past his prime and focusing more on promoting for a while, the hype was not warranted in that sense, if both were prime, that would have been something else.

There's not a fighter in their prime in the last 20 years I would have put my money on against Margarito at that time either. And almost any version of DLH beats Cotto.

Comment

Working...
                    X