Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who are the best american writer/novelist?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    Oh good grief no.

Let's see, my picks for American authors:

Joseph Heller
    George RR Martin
    Howard Phillips Lovecraft
    Kurt Vonnegut Jr
    Anne Rice before she caught Jesus
    Philip K Dick
    Harper Lee

Yeah that should do it.
    why you dont like stephen king?

Comment

Originally posted by Lotus Flower View Post
      why you dont like stephen king?
      He's a bad author. Bad. His writing is terrible.

Ever watch Garth Marenghi's Dark Place? The character is based on Stephen King.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        He's a bad author. Bad. His writing is terrible.

Ever watch Garth Marenghi's Dark Place? The character is based on Stephen King.
        not familiar with the tv show.
        i have the 'the stand uncut edition'

Comment

i know i'll forget someone...

cormac mccarthy is one of the best in the business...

steven bochco was / is one of the true greats in stories involving the role of cops in our society... i was a sucker for hill street blues (re-runs) and NYPD blue...

Comment

Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville. Leo Tolstoy and Fyodor Dostoevsky are bit better than both though.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
              i know i'll forget someone...

cormac mccarthy is one of the best in the business...

steven bochco was / is one of the true greats in stories involving the role of cops in our society... i was a sucker for hill street blues (re-runs) and NYPD blue...

james franco making a movie of child of god by cormac

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville. Leo Tolstoy and Fyodor Dostoevsky are bit better than both though.

Poet
                Melville? Seriously!? Without a doubt Moby Dick is the absolute worst thing I have ever read. I mean Catcher in the Rye was shit but at least it had the good grace to be short. Moby Dick was a monstrous rambling jumble of wordiness that certainly captured the essence of sitting in a whaling vessel for months on end with nothing to do. What a bag of turds.

Comment

George RR Martin just because his "a song of ice and fire" novel's are some of the best I have ever read and by far the best from an American author.

Comment

herman melville; sherwood anderson; john dos passos; william faulkner; saul bellow; nathanael west . . .

love me some david foster wallace and william gaddis, too.

vonnegut is overrated. he's an okay introduction to postmodernist lit but pretty light on substance.
                    Last edited by NEETzsche; 12-11-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I don't know who the best american writers are but there are so many books in our house while I was growing up. I started with novels by Harold Robins then got hooked up with western stories by Lois L'amour then science fictions by Isaac Asimov then James Michener and Robert Ludlum. I have read so many books by American authors but I forgot their names. I lost interest with books when I started working.

Comment

Working...
                      X