No announcement yet.

The GOAT ladies and gentlemen.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by street bully View Post
    Other than having blazing speed and combinations, he fought much differently than Mosley. SRR was a technitian, and was very technical in his approach, and while his defense wasn't the best ever, it was pretty damn good, and all the other things he had going for him got him that far.
    Go watch both back to back. They are clones. Their mannerisms, the way they throw punches, their combinations, identical. No SRR defense was not pretty good, it was average at best, and I would even wager to say below average for the time.

Comment

I'd agree that Mosley resembles SRR's style more than anyone else even the second great Sugar. Especially the toughness, SRR was the best because he was unbelievably tough (as were most of the fighters back then).

As for his average defense, I agree Shawn, but fighting was also more offensive in that time period. I think some of his oppostion is overrated. I've never thought very highly of Lamotta, Graziano, and Basillio. Tough, entertaining fighters, yes, Hall of fame level fighters, I don't know. I do wish I could see the Kid Gavillion (sp I know) fight. He's a fighter I have a lot of respect for and SRR beat him while he was in his supposed prime.

Comment

the frequency of his fights.. wow !
        durability is defined by SRR.

Comment

Did he ever lose? Because I dont believe Joe Calzaghe ever did. So this thread is false advertising since JOe is the best tehre ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Ironfist View Post
            Did he ever lose? Because I dont believe Joe Calzaghe ever did. So this thread is false advertising since JOe is the best tehre ever was.
            Get out of my thread.

Comment

love watching SRR's combos, some of the most unique I've ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
                I'd agree that Mosley resembles SRR's style more than anyone else even the second great Sugar. Especially the toughness, SRR was the best because he was unbelievably tough (as were most of the fighters back then).

As for his average defense, I agree Shawn, but fighting was also more offensive in that time period. I think some of his oppostion is overrated. I've never thought very highly of Lamotta, Graziano, and Basillio. Tough, entertaining fighters, yes, Hall of fame level fighters, I don't know. I do wish I could see the Kid Gavillion (sp I know) fight. He's a fighter I have a lot of respect for and SRR beat him while he was in his supposed prime.
                Whats important to note is that he fought in the day of TV fighters. You were not given title shots because you were good, you were given title shots because you were exciting and fun to watch, and would get ratings on tv.

Thats why we had guys like Fulmer and Basillio and LaMotta, and Graziano. All Arturo Gatti style action fighters with little real skill to speak of. Just tough sons of bitchs. There were plenty of slick talented fights that could have taken those guys to school, but they never got their shot.

Fights like Kid Gavilan were the real fights, and Id love to see those.

Comment

I just wanna see some of his "glory years" fights.. That's the crazy thing: we haven't even seen Sugar Ray at his absolute peak.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    I'm still amazed at how over rated he is by people like you who should honestly know better.

SRR is a Clone of SSM, sub par defense, incredible speed, very good power, and strung combinations together well. That doesn't make him the GOAT, not even close. Stylistically he is a very beatable fighter.

People give him all sorts of credit for fights that we don't have on film with all kinds of crap like "we don't have footage of him at his best!" No, we do... He was 28 years old in the fight we have with Jake LaMotta, right in them meat of his physical prime, and he was still way to hittable, and looked very beatable.
                    Did you know that SRR weight under the WW limit and Lamotta weight over the MW limit for this loss. And, also did you know that after this fight SRR did not lose another fight in his next 90 fights.

Matter of fact Lamotta was the only figter who beat SRR in his 20's and in his first 130 fights. I am not sure how you could say he is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                      Whats important to note is that he fought in the day of TV fighters. You were not given title shots because you were good, you were given title shots because you were exciting and fun to watch, and would get ratings on tv.

Thats why we had guys like Fulmer and Basillio and LaMotta, and Graziano. All Arturo Gatti style action fighters with little real skill to speak of. Just tough sons of bitchs. There were plenty of slick talented fights that could have taken those guys to school, but they never got their shot.

Fights like Kid Gavilan were the real fights, and Id love to see those.
                      Basilio and LaMotta were not wanted in the title picture, in fact LaMotta was forced to take a dive in order to get a title shot. Basilio never did, and as a result he had to overcome numerous obstacles to finally get a deserved chance at the title.

Kid Gavilan was a real action fighter, and was favoured by the powers that were at the time (the mob). Watch the fight against Basilio and see who really won.

Fighters like Fullmer, Basilio and LaMotta get underrated all the time, most likely because of their styles. Basilio was one of the most effective pressure fighters of all time. LaMotta's sheer work rate was too much for better boxers to handle. All of them took on the best slick, talented fighters at the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X