Michael Moorer - Light heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Just how good was he?

He had his debut in March '88 and by late '88 he fought for a version of the title (Inaugural WBO title). He knocked all of his opponents out at LHW under the tutelage of Manny Steward.

I thought he looked awesome at LHW, albeit against limited opposition.

How would he have fared against Virgil Hill in the late 80s early 90s?

What's your thoughts on his LHW career?
    One of my favorites! I rank him rght up there with Michael Spinks for lite heavyweight, cruiser ability. Would have fared well in any era

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Once Moorer moved up from 175, he never weighed less than 212 again. It seemed obvious that he was a natural heavyweight.
      Nonsense. He aged and got bigger and could compete at heavy...And so he did and on the way beat a fella we all tend to think is no slouch.

Moore is one of those fighters that his record does not do him justice. he ruled the roost at Kronk for a while, a fighters fighter

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Good fighter but very poor reign.
        I think this is the big problem with Moore. When there is not a lot of comp and in a nebulous division....a division where most champs move up for heavyweight riches...well it does not look good on paper

Comment

Seemed to be a beast at lhw, but really never faced stiff competition, so I can't really say how he would do vs other top lhw champs.. I suspect that he would fare well. He probably beats an early 90s Virgil hill.. At worse he would have a tarver type run, with a lot of big fights with some hiccups along the road, much like how Moore was at heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Seemed to be a beast at lhw, but really never faced stiff competition, so I can't really say how he would do vs other top lhw champs.. I suspect that he would fare well. He probably beats an early 90s Virgil hill.. At worse he would have a tarver type run, with a lot of big fights with some hiccups along the road, much like how Moore was at heavy.
            Tarver Vs Moorer would be a sight

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Moore was his own worse enemy. His problem at heavyweight was it presented an opportunity for him to slack off and train less. Also all the drama that a Teddy Atlas relationship entailed.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                Moore was his own worse enemy. His problem at heavyweight was it presented an opportunity for him to slack off and train less. Also all the drama that a Teddy Atlas relationship entailed.
                Yeah, very true.. All the talent and skill in the world, and could beat top guys on any given night, but could also be beaten on any given night.. If he had the mental power of a Hopkins, moorer would be a HOFer

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Once Moorer moved up from 175, he never weighed less than 212 again. It seemed obvious that he was a natural heavyweight.

Moorers physique at Light Heavy was pretty ripped. Never once saw him with a 'rip' as a Heavyweight.

I'll make a call to a guy that trained with him. I will ask him if Moorer moved up to Heavyweight because of weight issues or because of the Heavyweight pay days.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    Nonsense. He aged and got bigger and could compete at heavy...And so he did and on the way beat a fella we all tend to think is no slouch.

Moore is one of those fighters that his record does not do him justice. he ruled the roost at Kronk for a while, a fighters fighter
                    Moorer went all the way from 175 to 213 in just four months. Since he wasn't fat, it clearly indicates someone who was doing some major weight cutting. And I remember at the time Moorer saying there was no way he could make lightheavyweight any more.

Comment

Anybody know why he left Kronk to go with Teddy Atlas?

Comment

Working...
                      X