No announcement yet.

Steve Kim: "I consider Ward a bona-fide ticket seller"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
    Haymon is a big reason why Paul is on HBO. He has big ties with Greenburg and HBO. I think Goosen tried to make Paul a country wide attraction and it didnt pan out as planned.

Since 2006 he has fought in Cali, Vegas, Conn, and New Jersey. But mostly California. He started out fighting down south and it shouldve stayed that way. But had he not been in Cali he would've never sparred Margarito which lead to his title shot.

Laying down the knowledge as always.

Hopefully Martinez or Mosley will man up and give PW a opportunity to prove the skeptics wrong..........again.

Comment

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
      Laying down the knowledge as always.

Hopefully Martinez or Mosley will man up and give PW a opportunity to prove the skeptics wrong..........again.
      Its sad this far into his career that he still doesnt have the "big" fight.

The biggest name he could get right now is Shane Mosley but Shane wants Mora. Maybe they fight after. Im hoping so.

Comment

I don't really care if he sells tickets. All I know is that I can't wait to see Ward-Dirrell...

Comment

He's spot on about Williams. What he didn't mention though is that Oakland is a great sports town. I think Williams' real problem is he doesn't have a place to claim. Is it Georgia, Cali?

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
            He's spot on about Williams. What he didn't mention though is that Oakland is a great sports town. I think Williams' real problem is he doesn't have a place to claim. Is it Georgia, Cali?
            Hes been in Cali so much he might as well stay there.

However I think Goosen should try to get him a fight in Atlanta and see how it goes. If it has a good turn out he should stay down there.

Comment

Funniest title for a thread of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
                Haymon is a big reason why Paul is on HBO. He has big ties with Greenburg and HBO. I think Goosen tried to make Paul a country wide attraction and it didnt pan out as planned.

Since 2006 he has fought in Cali, Vegas, Conn, and New Jersey. But mostly California. He started out fighting down south and it shouldve stayed that way. But had he not been in Cali he would've never sparred Margarito which lead to his title shot.
                I think it is alot easier to market a fighter out of Cali than it is to market someone out of South Carolina. I suppose the sgestion of fighting out of Atlanta could be worth a try, but Vernon Forest, who was Mr. Atlanta himself hardly fought there. With that said, I have not seen clear cut proof that Ward is a bigger draw than Williams to be honest.
                Last edited by La_Vibora; 06-22-2010, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post
                  I think it is alot easier to market a fighter out of Cali than it is to market someone out of South Carolina. I suppose the sgestion of fighting out of Atlanta could be worth a try, but Vernon Forest, who was Mr. Atlanta himself hardly fought there. With that said, I have not seen clear cut proof that Ward is a bigger draw than Williams to be honest.
                  Excellent post.

Ward's gonna have to sell-out a few venues before I'm convinced.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                    Parade of Random Thoughts

22-Jun-10 02:43

On Monday in Los Angeles, a parade was held in honor of the Lakers who captured their 16th world title last week by defeating the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. Otherwise it was a rather uneventful way to start the week, but I did have a few things on my mind...

- Antonio Tarver a heavyweight? Puh-leeze, playing ’Mason Dixon’ in ’Rocky Balboa’ should be about the only time he ever steps into the ring as a heavyweight. I mean, not only is he a bit, ’light in the ass’ in football parlance( meaning too small and frail) but he’s a faded fighter. If you can’t be all the competitive with Chad Dawson at 175-pounds, you’re not going to do all that well against the likes of the Klitschko’s.

- The difference between Andre Ward and Allan Green is very simple. One guy is a world-class fighter and the other is an ESPN2-level fighter. There’s no other way to put it.

- I think based on how his last three fights have gone in Oak-town, I consider Ward a bona-fide ticket seller, which is great, the game needs another dozen of them. But it’s interesting, like Paul Williams, he is promoted by Dan Goossen, but unlike ’the Punisher’, Goossen is actually allowed to do some real promoting and doesn’t have Al Heymon to contend with. Both Ward and Williams are African-American boxers, who are highly skilled but one has been allowed to cultivate a home market.

- Speaking of which, tickets have gone on sale for the August 14th battle between WBC light heavyweight titlist, Jean Pascal and Chad Dawson. Being that this fight is being held in one of the best boxing markets in all of North America( and the world for that matter), this bout will do well.
                    I don't understand how Steve can go from "We need more fighters like Andre Ward" to this within no less than a year:

From his twitter.... http://twitter.com/#!/stevemaxboxing

"Ward is effective, if not particularly exciting. He's good at finding ways to win, but please, future PFP king? C'mon... #boxing"

"RT @7Cadillac7: @stevemaxboxing ward effective but so is paint drying on my wall. If they hype em as future star boxing will b dead by 2013."

"Ward is very good at what he does, but to me he's Andre Board. Just not all that entrtaining to me #boxing"

"RT @JackWangLoc: @stevemaxboxing Ward can't possibly have fans. Nobody can be that masochistic can they?"

"RT @RealErnieGreen: guys like Ward are reason people tune out boxing in favor of MMA, and after watching him, can't blame them"

Comment

Originally posted by Dedication View Post
                      I don't understand how Steve can go from "We need more fighters like Andre Ward" to this within no less than a year:

From his twitter.... http://twitter.com/#!/stevemaxboxing

"Ward is effective, if not particularly exciting. He's good at finding ways to win, but please, future PFP king? C'mon... #boxing"

"RT @7Cadillac7: @stevemaxboxing ward effective but so is paint drying on my wall. If they hype em as future star boxing will b dead by 2013."

"Ward is very good at what he does, but to me he's Andre Board. Just not all that entrtaining to me #boxing"

"RT @JackWangLoc: @stevemaxboxing Ward can't possibly have fans. Nobody can be that masochistic can they?"

"RT @RealErnieGreen: guys like Ward are reason people tune out boxing in favor of MMA, and after watching him, can't blame them"
                      LOL talk about contradiction...

Comment

Working...
                      X