No announcement yet.

'94 Eubank on Toney, McClellan, Nunn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 Eubank on Toney, McClellan, Nunn

On Showtime before his 2nd fight with Ray Close....

Toney
    'Well, based on all recent performances, the only difficult fight for me in the world of all the fully-fledged super-middleweight fighters is James Toney, based on recent performances. Obviously there are political complications involved, but that's the answer to the question. I'm joint #1 in the world. You'll be watching one of the best in the game tonight. Not the proven, absolute very best, but one of them.'

G-Man
    'He's a phenomenal puncher with great range levers behind the right hand, robust left hook, (and) the accuracy into the body shot left hook. Three punches to defend against is a strike against him though, although easier said than done, as we see.

'For McClellan, he would need to prepare to go 12 rounds in strong pace for me, because you can hit me in the face with a shotgun and I'm getting straight up. My chin is made from cast iron, that's a stone cold fact!

'Even in one particular fight of mine at a London soccer venue against a strong puncher where letting him have free shots for the second half of 11 rounds; I couldn't be put away. There's no one-round job here.

'But it would take Mr King to dig deep into his pockets if the American public would want to see that particular match once I do this quick job on Close, because he does have that phenomenal power with the good boxing ability, McClellan. And that's one boxer speaking in truth terms - it's a profession, it's a living, a business.'

Nunn
    'Nunn has lost, so Steve Little is the fight. Nunn is not the fight. For truth speaking, to defend my world championship title against Nunn, who has lost two of his own and so is down the pecking order, he's not being mandated, and he's not bringing a great deal to the table other than a difficult southpaw style, being big and hard to counterpunch; great deal of talent. So... to fight Nunn now would be the definition of ludicrous. Ludicrous.'

'There isn't a fighter in the history of the planet more entertaining than I, so sit back and enjoy the show and it will be my pleasure to entertain you.'
    Last edited by coghaugen; 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Toney was struggling with weight issues in 94; I reckon it would've been a fairly close fight, though I think Toney would've just about solved the Eubank puzzle.

Benn, meanwhile, was tailor-made for Toney's crisp counterpunching style.

As for McClellan-Eubank, Eubank made a good point; his chin was like granite. Yeah, he was down a couple of times, but he always got back up. And he was very difficult to hurt, with tremendous powers of recuperation. If McClellan couldn't blow him out in a couple of rounds, it would have been a twelve round fight. I'd have McClellan possibly by MD after the G-Man fades a little through the (unfamiliar) championship rounds.

Comment

eubank always gives his honest opinion and isnt afraid to give fighters their props. gotta give him credit for that.

after all the **** toney talked about him it takes a real man to admit toney is a great fighter regardless of how eubank must have felt about him personally at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by coghaugen View Post
          On Showtime before his 2nd fight with Ray Close....

Toney
          'Well, based on all recent performances, the only difficult fight for me in the world of all the fully-fledged super-middleweight fighters is James Toney, based on recent performances. Obviously there are political complications involved, but that's the answer to the question. I'm joint #1 in the world. You'll be watching one of the best in the game tonight. Not the proven, absolute very best, but one of them.'
          Glad Eubank never got in the ring with a cheat.

'There isn't a fighter in the history of the planet more entertaining than I, so sit back and enjoy the show and it will be my pleasure to entertain you.'
          lol vintage Eubank

Comment

Working...
          X