Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather's final fight to be on Network TV?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kombayn View Post
    Yeah the more I think about it, the more I like the prospect of that match-up. No titles are needed and if a casual fan asks a boxing fan about Matthysse, I doubt anyone would trash him. Danny Garcia would've been a great sell except he's pretty much put a flame thrower to his career with his last 3 fights.
    Would DEFINITELY be hard convincing the public that Garcia even remotely stood a chance after his recent efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by know1212risk View Post
      Would DEFINITELY be hard convincing the public that Garcia even remotely stood a chance after his recent efforts.
      The problem is that only boxing fans probably watched Garcia's last 3 fights. Most people who buy a Mayweather PPV don't know a thing about those fights and he is still officially undefeated even though we know different. Most people still know him as the guy who knocked Khan out.

They can just market it as undefeated Floyd against an undefeated Garcia, from the new generation. People lap that stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
        Put it on CBS! I don't see the point to another PPV to be honest. You beat the guy that people thought could beat you, it is really no reason for fans to buy the next PPV

Agreed....

Comment

I had the same feeling. His contract is for CBS/Showtime.

fight will be on CBS Sep 19.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
            Put it on CBS! I don't see the point to another PPV to be honest. You beat the guy that people thought could beat you, it is really no reason for fans to buy the next PPV
            Put it on CBS and Showtime lose the 32 million dollars that they have to pay Floyd for the last fight on his contract. There is not a chance in HELL that they will make even 20% of that back on advertising - be lucky to get 10% back, and after the last PPV they would probably still end up with only 3.4 million viewers or so. While that is great for a PPV, it's terrible for network television.

Any Floyd PPV will pull in at least 1 million buys and as it will be his final, retirement fight, they can promote it to death even more than the Floyd-Pac fight. And we all know that people will buy it, no matter how much they claim they won't. 1 million buys even at a bargain 50 buck rate will bring in 50 million, more than enough to cover all the costs. Then Showtime can shut down their boxing operations with a profit, along with Floyd's departure.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
              I had the same feeling. His contract is for CBS/Showtime.

fight will be on CBS Sep 19.
              Agreed. We'll see how it plays out

Comment

Giving a free fight, as well as a non title fight

Nobody can say **** if he fights Khan now

Comment

Working...
                X