No announcement yet.

The first round is usually the toughest round to score in a fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True.

It really bothers me because in super close fights, the first round can make a difference and it's tough to give it to either guy in most cases. I agree with people saying to score it evenly, but sometimes you have to see the subtle things that are happening and, for me at least, I'm not fully engaged in the fight yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
      you know its not against the rules to score rounds even.
      I know, but when you see the judges scorecards they usually don't score that first round even, so it makes me wonder how the hell do they score it? Most of the time the first round is even to me, but I always wonder what the judges see to give that round to a certain fighter?

Most first rounds I see are 10-10 or even to me, but judges have different views on first rounds you don't see the 10-10 to often on scorecards.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
        I know, but when you see the judges scorecards they usually don't score that first round even, so it makes me wonder how the hell do they score it? Most of the time the first round is even to me, but I always wonder what the judges see to give that round to a certain fighter?

Most first rounds I see are 10-10 or even to me, but judges have different views on first rounds you don't see the 10-10 to often on scorecards.
        In the case of where they score the fight the judges then you have to look at other stuff, who initiated the action the most, who did what usually the counter puncher will lose the feeling out round.

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
          In the case of where they score the fight the judges then you have to look at other stuff, who initiated the action the most, who did what usually the counter puncher will lose the feeling out round.
          Very true, the guy who is pushing the other guy back and moving forward usually wins the feeling out round especially when their is equal amount of limited punching going on.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            Usually for me the first round is hard to score because most of the time it's a feeling out round and you don't really see either guy dominate that round unless its like a Pacquiao vs. Marquez round 1 type deal where the guy just comes out and drops the guy three times.

Most of the time the fight starts with both guys just being very cautious and for me it's hard as hell to score that first round.
            If I think i can tell if it will be a feel out within the first 30secs-1min, I shift my attention to look for other things to determine the round until actual action occurs..if no action occurs, then I stay focused on those other things. I do agree with others that being forced to a 10-9 gives the house fighter and certain styles a built in advantage in early uneventful, albeit crucial rounds.

but when its just no namers then i generally that the approach that every fight is unique so what to look for might vary from fight to fight. in general, if nothing happens in the first round I look for whoever is throwing a jab, or coming forward, or who has the most vitality, or who looks more comfortable. In the worst possible round we could ever imagine, if there is absolutely nothing to split and I can't immediately make a choice between the two within 10seconds after the round is over, I will give 10-10. The opposite is true as well, as sometimes in the best possible rounds you can imagine I might give a 10-10.

But I watch a fight under the 10-9 mindset, so that I'm ready to be comfortable with my choices because I do usually think there are dynamics that sometimes reveal themselves even in uneventful rounds. They may not be throwing blows, but the fighters are very busy thinking alllll the time.
            Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 01-11-2013, 11:34 PM.

Comment

every round is hard to score for pierre benoist.

Comment

So basically the guy pushing the fight will get the nod

Comment

Working...
                X