No announcement yet.

What's wrong with changing the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with changing the sport?

50 just made a new "suggestion" of involving some WWE style drama in the sport, and a lot of people were upset and/or disgusted at the idea

It reminds me of when De La Hoya briefly discussed incorporating a UFC style league/organization into the sport and everyone got all pissy about that too

Then there's Mayweather trying to incorporate OSDT in the pros, and that got shot down

My question is, why? Can u honestly make a point that it wouldn't help, or would make things worse? Or is it just pride?? Which would be dumb... I mean, boxing is the most unorganized, corrupt sport in the world... What is there to be proud of? Why can't we try new things? Why would a sport that struggles in popularity and constantly has robbery after robbery, BS "world champion" after BS world champion, cheater after cheater.... I mean, WTF??

Why is OSDT such a bad thing? Why is incorporating some pre-fight entertainment such a bad thing? Why is a UFC-type organization such bad thing

Honest questoion

RE: WWE Style pre-fight entertainment - Because boxing is a real mans sport.

/THREAD.

Comment

round card girls and undercards are good enough for me.

Comment

The WWE is basically a soap opera how can that idea appeal to you? I have nothing against new testing or tournaments, but the WWE thing is a joke.

Comment

Problem is, no one really knows what he's going to do. Maybe minds will change once he gets things rolling. This could be the beginning of something big in boxing. I'm all for seeing it. If it sucks, it won't last.

Comment

Boxing's demographic is not the same as WWF or even UFC in a lot of cases. What manufactured drama would do is turn off the core of the sport in hopes of bringing in kids who probably couldn't afford a ticket to a fight anyhow. Its not a good trade off. Did you hear the silence over the crowd when Curtis was rapping like Peter Pan? Nobody gave a ****. People speak so highly of the Prince and his ring entrances, but he was BOOED loudly at his fights in America. People here don't care for that spectacle. It works overseas, than great. Dont change it.

Comment

Originally posted by RossCA View Post
              Problem is, no one really knows what he's going to do. Maybe minds will change once he gets things rolling. This could be the beginning of something big in boxing. I'm all for seeing it. If it sucks, it won't last.
              Exactly... Try it first, why is it such a big deal

Maybe its becuz I actually enjoy pro wrestling, but I don't see what's so bad about it... It gives people something to watch between fights... I'm pretty sure the soap opera stuff at worst is gonna be "Gamboa, talk **** about Broner till he agrees to fight you, and we'll record it"

I mean, 24/7 is getting old, and fight camp 360 is just 24/7's little brother

Comment

I agree in some ways, for example the hype that surrounded haye vs chisora in the UK was crazy. I also think a big reason casual fans (in my experience) dont watch boxing more regularly is because they dont care about the outcome of a fight. Getting people to care is WWE's specialty...

However, as others have said it all boils down to what hes going for, if he wants a staged scene of Broner running over Ricky Burns in a parking lot then no. If he wants more music, bright lights, and fireworks at boxing events then i can see how that would appeal to some fans.

Remember also that the age of boxing fans has increased since the 90's (and that isnt a bad thing bearing in mind how many more older people there are than young in the wests age demographic) and many may be turned off by this stuff.

But hey if he gives it a go and it works then great. Aslong as us who follow the sport more closely get to see fights we care about inbetween the lights then i dont care.

Comment

Me personally am all for wwe style theatrics. I would have paid to see barrera and morales repeatedly put in socially awkward situations designed to provoke them into antagonizing each other.

Besides...it's not like wwe and boxing are strangers to each other. We've seen ali, tyson and mayweather and butterbean venture into it...and we've seen several pro wrestlers walk into a boxig ring in support of fighters.

Comment

Boxing fans don't realize how amazing pro wrestling entrances can be. They can make it an EVENT rather than just another fight. He's not saying he's gonna put an idea to talk **** out there and guys are gonna get on the mic for 15 minutes. That's just ******ed. Just adding to the venues and what not. Will it cost more? Yes. Will it attract more than just boxings target demographic? Hell yes.

Comment

Working...
                    X