No announcement yet.

Hatton on Mayweather AGAIN!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatton on Mayweather AGAIN!

Ricky Hatton would love to finish his glittering career with a victory against Floyd Mayweather and says he's had "tougher dinners" than the American.

'The Hitman' is aiming to thrust himself right into contention for a superfight with the 'Pretty Boy' by winning his Las Vegas bout with Jose Luis Castillo on June 23 but accepts time is running out to secure such a dream finale.

As one of Britain's most celebrated boxing heroes in recent times, Hatton (42-0, 30KOs) has very few targets left to hit before he calls it a day inside the ring and has no doubts how he'd want to bow out.

"To do Madison Square Garden at the top of the bill and hopefully get Mayweather because he's the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world," he said. "These are big possibilities should I beat Castillo.

"I've achieved the majority of my goals already. Being the best in the world was one thing along with winning six world titles in two weights and topping the bill in Las Vegas.

"But I think if I could be the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet in any weight division I could definitely put my slippers on and put my feet up."

Hatton's triumphs over Kostya Tszyu, Carlos Maussa, Luis Collazo and Juan Urango since 2005 have put him well and truly on the global boxing map and earlier this year Sugar Ray Leonard claimed he has what it takes to shock the 'Pretty Boy'.

The 28-year-old from Hyde agrees and thinks Mayweather's recent WBC light-middleweight clash with Oscar De La Hoya has given him more grounds to be optimistic.

"I'd like to think so," he added. "I don't think everybody would share the same opinion but if I look at the Mayweather and De La Hoya fight, when De La Hoya put the pressure on, Mayweather shut up shop and he didn't really want to know.

"By the mid-way stage I thought, 'Floyd, you're going to have to pull your finger out here' but it's only when De La Hoya tired when it changed. Whether that's to do with his age, the number of hard fights or because his enthusiasm isn't there but I think Mayweather only won it by one round in the end.

"So imagine someone like me who can go to start to finish, I wouldn't have let him back in the fight. So as good and talented as Mayweather is, it's not beyond me and I think I would beat him and only time will tell if I get my chance."

It has been mooted that the only way to bring Mayweather over to England for a possible fight would be to hold a glamour bill at the new Wembley Stadium, but the 28-year-old from Hyde doesn't even think that would be enough.

He said: "I don't think Mayweather would come over here, not even at Wembley, he'll want to stay in America. Although he said initially he'd like to come over here and fight me because a few years ago nobody really rated me and then I beat who I did and I think he changed his mind then."

Hatton is also doubtful if Mayweather can ever be called a true great when you consider the timing he's chosen to face some of his previous victims.

The American has defeated the likes of Arturo Gatti, Carlos Baldomir, Diego Corrales and Zab Judah as well as his triumph over De La Hoya in May but none of these have impressed Hatton too much.

He said: "Gatti was a little bit past it, Diego Corrales was a super-featherweight who looked a bit weight drained, Carlos Baldomir was win some lose some, Zab Judah had seen better days and as fantastic as a result it was, even De La Hoya had seen better days than that.

"You don't become an all-time great by beating everyone whose just seen that too many fights too much."

Hatton has also mocked Mayweather's toughness amid pipedream talk of an almost fantasy bout between the pair in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

He joked: "There's as much chance of Manchester City winning the European Cup as Mayweather fighting in the UFC! You can't even get him to fight in the boxing ring.

"Floyd is safe enough in the boxing ring where he can jab and move and run and keep out the way. He's a wonderful talent but as far as mixing it up as a tough guy goes, I've had tougher dinners."

Having said that Hatton says he wouldn't be tempted to try it either, but admits it makes great viewing.

He added: "I'm a big fan of the UFC but not when they start grappling and wrestling and rolling around on the floor for three minutes at a time. But when they're stood toe to toe and having a go at it I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything as exciting really.

"But you won't get Floyd Mayweather to stand still long enough."

Hatton's too much of a risk for floyd to take on. If floyd did fight hatton, and beat him(which i don't think he can). Even I'd give him credit. I still hate his chess fighting style, he fights like a chess player. Thats how floyd fights, and in this sport called boxing. We love brawlers, not chess players.

Comment

Who has Hatton faced that is a "tougher dinner" then Floyd.
      What a biased article.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteSoldier View Post
        Hatton's too much of a risk for floyd to take on. If floyd did fight hatton, and beat him(which i don't think he can). Even I'd give him credit. I still hate his chess fighting style, he fights like a chess player. Thats how floyd fights, and in this sport called boxing. We love brawlers, not chess players.
        you also picked Oscar by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy-E View Post

you also picked Oscar by KO.
          Well, I was expecting Floyd to brawl with him. Go toe to toe... No, Floyd just played a chess match like usual. And after the fight he claimed he did go toe to toe with Oscar??? Either floyd's an idiot or a liar. Toe 2 toe, is not running around the ring in circles the whole fight. It's standing infront of your opponent and using head movement and defense and offensive skills. Thats toe to toe... The way he fought is a chess-match not toe 2 toe.

Comment

Floyd would KO Hatton at 147 within 8 rounds. Hatton has become a loud mouth, he thinks he's the **** when in reality he hasn't looked good since the Tszyu fight.

Comment

Hatton is a nice guy from Hyde. Talking just enough trash to get PBF out of retirement to get it on. Not being out of order with his words but just honest and telling it like he sees it.

Comment

Maybe Hatton just wants to buckle Floyd's shoes.

Comment

Hatton just wants some guap....

Comment

Originally posted by Easy-E View Post
                    Who has Hatton faced that is a "tougher dinner" then Floyd.
                    What a biased article.
                    He's not talking about tougher fighters, he's literally talking about tougher dinners. He's suggesting that Floyd is an imperious boxer (which is good...considering he is a boxer), but not an out-and-out tough-guy. Like the MMAers are. Brawlers. You cant really win fights in MMA by avoiding and popping out quick counter-punches because the chances are that you WILL get taken to the floor pretty quickly.

Originally posted by cotto#1p4p View Post
                    Floyd would KO Hatton at 147 within 8 rounds. Hatton has become a loud mouth, he thinks he's the **** when in reality he hasn't looked good since the Tszyu fight.
                    He's not talking loud-mouth at all there. He couldnt be more respectful to Floyd considering they are rival fighters. When can you ever remember Floyd giving as much respect and credit to a fighter as Hatton has given him in that article?

Comment

Working...
                    X