Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't GBP making any good fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans say fighters should leave Arum. Gamboa did. Yet he can't get fights with Showtime/GBP/Haymon. Money Mayweather don't even give a **** about this huge fan of his. What's happening?

Comment

Nothing is being cooked at Showtime these days as far as subscribers are concerned. Seems Showtime can only afford to make Star vs Bum types. They tried to feed another easy fight for Thurman. Porter declined because he's being offered undercard money. Guerrero wants big bucks as well. Regular fights are getting rarer and rarer.

I could foresee Showtime subscriptions stop growing.

-------------

"They have a guy [Stephen Espinoza] in charge of Showtime Sports, he signed Mayweather; if you're a subscriber for Showtime, what the hell difference does it mean to you? Mayweather isn't on Showtime, he's on pay-per-view. If you have a subscription, you can't see a Mayweather fight on Showtime. It's ridiculous." - BA

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        2013 and 2014(partially)

Maidana-Broner
        Mayweather-Canelo
        Lara-Angulo
        Canelo-Angulo
        Trout(AH) - Lara
        Garcia-Matthysse
        Canelo-Trout
        Khan-Collazo
        Matthysse-Peterson
        Alexander-Porter
        Charlo-Rosado

Rumored:
        Canelo-Lara
        Santa-Cruz-Frampton(non GBP)
        D. Garcia-Peterson(possible)

GBP afraid of doing what?
        Seriously. Getting sick of hearing this myth. GBP is not afraid t match it's stars.

Comment

They're slacking on their undercards this year that's for sure. Hopefully it picks up.

Comment

I personally thought they've done a good job for the last two years. But obviously can be better; a lot better, if GBP and TOPRANK could have somehow and someway to end this pathetic cold war.

Comment

They went through a period of making brilliant fights, especially once they splintered away to Showtime, as if they were determined to make a statement.

But now it seems they're being more cautious, which I sorta understand - you can't keep throwing all your blue chip prospects in the deep end. As much as we want it as fans, it's not really prudent to keep putting fighters in difficult fight after difficult fight.

Saying that, it's a pity that they haven't really got one great fight bubbling between 140 and 147, considering how much talent they have. Mayweather, Garcia, Thurman, Khan, Broner, Guerrero, Matthyse, Porter, Peterson....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                Nothing is being cooked at Showtime these days as far as subscribers are concerned. Seems Showtime can only afford to make Star vs Bum types. They tried to feed another easy fight for Thurman. Porter declined because he's being offered undercard money. Guerrero wants big bucks as well. Regular fights are getting rarer and rarer.

I could foresee Showtime subscriptions stop growing.

-------------

"They have a guy [Stephen Espinoza] in charge of Showtime Sports, he signed Mayweather; if you're a subscriber for Showtime, what the hell difference does it mean to you? Mayweather isn't on Showtime, he's on pay-per-view. If you have a subscription, you can't see a Mayweather fight on Showtime. It's ridiculous." - BA
                No joke, earlier today I was debating on whether or not I should cancel my subscription. Nothing coming up is worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Picker View Post
                  No joke, earlier today I was debating on whether or not I should cancel my subscription. Nothing coming up is worth the money.
                  Yeah, if you're a subscriber, you're basically just waiting for looong stretches of time before you see any decent fight.

PPVs are not for subscribers. Many seem to think just because they're viewed on Showtime, they're part of being a subscriber.

And the trend is getting noticeable. Many GBP/Haymon fighters are either on long vacations or rarely fight. Guerrero, Matthysse, Berto, Khan, Alexander, among the obvious ones.... They have around 90 fighters, yet fans rarely see them fight. What's happening?

I think Schaefer/Haymon had planned to take over boxing in a huge way. They thought the Mayweather fights will bring truckloads of money in the Showtime coffers and be able to fund numerous fights. They realized that PPVs are really not profitable for networks especially when you're dealing with a guy called Money.

Comment

B-U-M-P.

The farce continues.

Thurman fighting Khan's leftovers in Julio Diaz.

Rumours of Danny Swift fighting another no name opponent.

Matthyse fighting John Molina, but its his comeback fight so he deserves some leniency.

No other interesting match ups in the foreseeable future. Guerrerro, Berto, Alexander, Peterson et al. not having named opponents.

Oh and we was robbed of Stevenson - Kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by arizashakes View Post
                      FOTY and round of the year candidate.
                      Greatest punch ever contender too. Definitely the greatest left hook ever, probably the greatest straight right.

Comment

Working...
                      X