Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running with a tennis ball underneath your chin .....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just run with your chin actually on your chest?

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      Why not just run with your chin actually on your chest?
      Because that's improper positioning. It's a very old trick, and the reason I keep a can of tennis balls in the gym.

I not only have my young fighters do it when running, but also when shadow boxing. It's a great way to keep the chin down, but eyes up. Sometimes people can over exaggerate the head being tucked, limiting their vision.

I also use other old school tricks like tying their ankles for proper spacing. Or touching the nose or chin after combos to create a habit of keeping their hands up.

Oh and if you drop the tennis ball, you owe me 20 push ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        Because that's improper positioning. It's a very old trick, and the reason I keep a can of tennis balls in the gym.

I not only have my young fighters do it when running, but also when shadow boxing. It's a great way to keep the chin down, but eyes up. Sometimes people can over exaggerate the head being tucked, limiting their vision.

I also use other old school tricks like tying their ankles for proper spacing. Or touching the nose or chin after combos to create a habit of keeping their hands up.

Oh and if you drop the tennis ball, you owe me 20 push ups.
        whatever works is therefore the correct thing to do.
        i'd rather just keep my chin in position of my own accord than have a ball under it but will isn't always enough to make things happen.

i think for me the problem with the tennis ball thing, other than it being damn annoying, is that is makes you have to tense the muscles of the neck slightly to keep it there.
        but as i say, whatever works

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
          whatever works is therefore the correct thing to do.
          i'd rather just keep my chin in position of my own accord than have a ball under it but will isn't always enough to make things happen.

i think for me the problem with the tennis ball thing, other than it being damn annoying, is that is makes you have to tense the muscles of the neck slightly to keep it there.
          but as i say, whatever works
          You do it for people that need it. Obviously if you can keep you chin down, then you don't need it. These are tools to create good habits.

Most people think of habits as only bad, in reality you can create good habits as well.

Comment

i just keep my right arm locked where it needs to be and that alone helps me keep my chin tucked but im an amateur so next time i go out i will grab a tennis ball lol

Comment

Like Cuauh says if keeping your chin down isn't an issue for you then this isn't something you have to do. For some guys this is a problem though and the tennis ball can help.

Another trick I've seen is for guys who flare their elbows out too much in their guard. Have them use their arm to press something (a mitt, a boxing glove) against their body and hold it there as they shadowbox.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Like Cuauh says if keeping your chin down isn't an issue for you then this isn't something you have to do. For some guys this is a problem though and the tennis ball can help.

Another trick I've seen is for guys who flare their elbows out too much in their guard. Have them use their arm to press something (a mitt, a boxing glove) against their body and hold it there as they shadowbox.
                Yes, that's another old trick to keep the elbows in. What people don't realize about flaring your elbows is that you lose power and telegraph your shots.

I am working more and more with MMA fighters, and this is the one thing they do the most. Don't turn their hips and flare out their elbows. They are so strong physically, that they don't realize they are just getting 80% of the power they could be getting if they were doing it correctly.

Comment

Working...
                X