No announcement yet.

Sam Langford?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Langford?

It seems like I'm the only one who believes Sam Langford was one of the greatest of all time but nobody else has heard of him but me. Where do you rate Sam Langford? If you also have any cool information or feel the same way comment plox

Originally posted by Jonathon R View Post
    It seems like I'm the only one who believes Sam Langford was one of the greatest of all time but nobody else has heard of him but me. Where do you rate Sam Langford? If you also have any cool information or feel the same way comment plox
    Hi.

I see this is your very first post here. I'm sure that you'll find plenty of agreement about Langford in the Boxing History forum. Maybe less so in other sections on this site.

Comment

While it may seem that way to you, that's not the case. However, he doesn't belong in the upper echelon (Top 10) of ATG's, he is - by most accounts - within the top 20, at the 16th. spot on average.

Welcome to the forum. BTW.

Comment

You're in a section where 90% of people consider Sam Langford a Top 3 ATG.

Myself included.

Comment

Definitely an ATG!

Welcome to the forums mate

Comment

i believe many people rate sam in their top 5. a respectable amount would have him 1st, or interchangeably within the top3.

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
            While it may seem that way to you, that's not the case. However, he doesn't belong in the upper echelon (Top 10) of ATG's, he is - by most accounts - within the top 20, at the 16th. spot on average.

Welcome to the forum. BTW.
            top 20 by most accounts. doesnt belong in the top 10.

what?

Comment

Rare Langford interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Wot...D3523C5C6FB0FF

Comment

Why don't we post a sticky thread here listing boxers that are the best of all-time in their respective weight classes and pound for pound so, while people could pick anyone as their personal favorites, these names listed would be ones that should be considered on anyone's best lists like:

Sugar Ray Robinson
                Sam Langford
                Harry Greb
                Muhammad Ali
                Ezzard Charles
                Joe Louis
                Les Darcy
                Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.

Then more names could be added by the experts here. You could call it Best Boxers of All Time or Names That Should Be on Everyone's Best Boxers of All Time Lists or something. This way new members here that don't know much about the history of the sport and want to learn more (as I have here) can do so by looking at the records, news stories and existing career footage of those fighters suggested here.

I don't know, just a suggestion, what do you think? It would be similar to the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) posted on other sites and message boards.

Comment

Awesome Fighter

All Time Great in more than 1 weight class, top 20 HW for sure, maybe top 15, but not top 10 HW.

MW & LHW yes, but no way he could beat any HW in the top 10 all time, in no particular order, I can't see him beating any of thes HW's

Ali
                  Holmes
                  Johnson
                  Dempsey
                  Jeffries
                  Louis
                  Lewis
                  Tyson
                  Marciano
                  Liston
                  Foreman
                  That's 11 guys right there, he gives Frazier a good fight but that Left Hook eventually gets him.
                  Frazier
                  Tunney
                  I see him having trouble with hard punching big guys like Shavers, Morrison & Tua, Tua more his height, but I think he takes Langford or has a great shot at it at HW anyway.

Wills beat him 10x, so Will's ahead of him.
                  He barely beat Joe Gans when Gans was clearly a LW & Langford weighed much more & Gans fought a tough bout the night before then traveled a long train ride to Philly to fight Sam the next day, most accounts give gans the 1st many rounds of the fight til he tired, & many at ringside reportedly disputed giving Langford the overall win, so if he barely beats or if he really did win, based on anyone's opinon over a tired & also gans was sick, how does he beat all time great HW's, no way, that fight right there tells me a lot about Langford, he should have mopped up with a Sick, Tired Gans, how drained was gans after fight a tough fight the previous night, being sick & a long train ride, these cry babies of this era would have cried foul on anyone of those 3 things, I'm sick I can't fight, I had a long train ride, can't fight, I just fought the night before, I need 3 months to train for Langford, Ha, Ha, so Sam should have wiped him out, & by many at ringside, they think Gans won, so this one fight, lowers my opinion of Langford & raised it for Gans as maybe the #1 or 2 LW of all-time, from all accounts, Sam was at least a MW in weight during that fight, if not a bit more, how does he ever dream of beating Tyson, Foreman & Liston, great fighter, yes, but put him where he belongs, not where he has been built up to be.

Comment

Haven't done a top ten for along time..but definitely will have him top 5 in P4P...anyone who knows his career fully will be hard pressed to not do it...

Comment

Working...
                    X