No announcement yet.

Boxingscene Movie Reviews Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to see Avengers Assemble today

Not bad, not as good as I was expecting though.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      Just finished watching the new documentary "Marley" by Kevin MacDonald on the life, times, and legacy of Bob Marley.

Musically I like some of the stuff Marley did, and can't stand other things he did, so you don't have to be a diehard fan to enjoy this documentary. More than anything I find him to be a fascinating character study and interesting personality.

8/10
      iwill watch it immediately as soon as it is shown here in singapore... but... i want to know, how long was it? was there any glorification of some sort for ganja or rastafari? i'll be bringing my son if u know what i mean...

Comment

• Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
        iwill watch it immediately as soon as it is shown here in singapore... but... i want to know, how long was it? was there any glorification of some sort for ganja or rastafari? i'll be bringing my son if u know what i mean...
        It's about 2 and a half hours long. For a brief period of the film near the beginning when they're laying the groundwork of Bob's early life they dive into the Rastafari religious beliefs, and the consumption of marijuana as a spiritual outlet, but I wouldn't say the film comes anywhere near "glorifying" it. Infact, that's a very minute part of the project, overall.

I'd say it's definitely safe to take your son with you to view it. Like I said, Marley was a very interesting character study, very charasmatic and personable, absolutely fearless, and deeply religious. I hope you and your son enjoy it as much as I did.
        Last edited by ßringer; 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
          It's about 2 and a half hours long. For a brief period of the film near the beginning when they're laying the groundwork of Bob's early life they dive into the Rastafari religious beliefs, and the consumption of marijuana as a spiritual outlet, but I wouldn't say the film comes anywhere near "glorifying" it. Infact, that's a very minute part of the project, overall.

I'd say it's definitely safe to take your son with you to view it. Like I said, Marley was a very interesting character study, very charasmatic and personable, absolutely fearless, and deeply religious. I hope you and your son enjoy it as much as I did.
          tnx man.. green...

Comment

• 'got the chance to watch "the avengers" yesterday...

joss whedon's affinity to comic books and sci-fi in general was all too evident as shown in the movie...

i absolutely loved the scenes where the hulk was in it and i particularly liked the part when he toyed with loki when loki was boasting to him and stuff...

spidey and bats got their hands full catching up to the avengers in defending and proving once again their boxoffice mettle...

8.5 / 10

Comment

• Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
              rewatched some cameron crowe films 2 days ago... great storyteller and his choice for songs to enhance the experience is top notch...

jerry maguire was excellent... a character driven journey for redemption, love and ethics in the workplace... its part buddy film (with cuba gooding), love story (with renee zellweger) and a personal film where we the audience examine our failures, dealing with that failure, persevering and totally rising from it... and yes, as with most cameron crowe films, the soundtrack is effing amazing... 9 / 10

elizabethtown was good, but not as good as jerry maguire... as with the latter, its a character driven film... that deals with death of a family member and personal failure... though kirsten dunst's character was just too positive for it's own good, we should get the point... susan sarandon stole the show towards the end and the free bird interpretation of the fictional ruckus band was simply fun... soundtrack was spot-on... 8 / 10

im gobbling up vanilla sky and almost famous later... man, this cameron crowe is great...
              I usually hate Tom Cruise, even in good movies, but Jerry Maguire is just a great movie. I can't hate, as much as I might want to.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                I usually hate Tom Cruise, even in good movies, but Jerry Maguire is just a great movie. I can't hate, as much as I might want to.
                cameron crowe is the secret.. ATG writer / director...

i think the only time he stumbled was vanilla sky... but to be fair, it was an adapted version of a spanish film... he didnt have much leeway to instill his flair and stuff...

Comment

• Tsotsi.

African drama based film about a group of slum teen gangsters. It follows the life of a troubled young man after he shoots a mother and steals her car, not knowing there is a baby in it.
                  It follows the story of how he looks after the baby boy and what him and his gang members get up to for the following days.

7/10.

Comment

• "The Whistleblower"

{img}{/img}

Sent to Bosnia to train cops in the aftermath of that country's brutal civil war, American policewoman Kathryn Bolkovac (Rachel Weisz) uncovers evidence that U.N. peacekeepers are complicit in a flourishing sex-trafficking trade. But when she brings her allegations to light, she discovers that her foes are more powerful than the law. Based on a true story, this thriller from director Larysa Kondracki co-stars Monica Bellucci and David Strathairn.

Ok so this movie was slow throughout, never a ton of action or thrilling moments but it made up for it with it's story and how they brought it to life. I really liked the casting, the acting, and the story itself but just think it could have been a bit more fast paced for a movie close to 2 hours.

Rocco Rating 6 out of 10
                    Last edited by rocco1252; 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• "Water For Elephants"

{img}{/img}

In this captivating Depression-era melodrama, impetuous veterinary student Jacob Jankowski joins a celebrated circus as an animal caretaker but faces a wrenching dilemma when he's transfixed by angelic married performer Marlena.

Ok so my lady chose this one and even she was disappointed by it. It was slow, the story was boring, the acting was bad even for Reese Witherspoon and the effects were just horrible. Need I say more? A waste of 2 hours and I really mean a full 2 hours, the previews were the best part of this film.

Rocco Rating 4 out of 10

Comment

Working...
                      X