No announcement yet.

How would canelo do vs the guys Fernando Vargas fought at 25 n younger

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tredh View Post
    It was the Winky Wright and Quartey fights I really had trouble with deciding. Canelo isn't the type to swarm so he is kind of playing into both of their hands.

Can for sure agree with the bold.
    He'd have to get out of his comfort zone and force the fight.....quartey and wright would be just fine with a slow pace, and outjabbing him from the outside

Canelo is too damn short, stout and skilled not to utuilize his dimensions and work more inside

How stout he is he isnt built for a hard grind em 12 round fight...he fights in spurts and his hand speed and accuracy make up for his inactivity in most cases....thats why he doesnt blow out top guys

Comment

Canelo is better than Vargas to me Eventhough he'd likely struggle against Vargas' competition.

For the record you can argue Winky won 8 rounds against Vargas. On paper it's a good win fo Vargas. I remember thinking he clearly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        He'd have to get out of his comfort zone and force the fight.....quartey and wright would be just fine with a slow pace, and outjabbing him from the outside

Canelo is too damn short, stout and skilled not to utuilize his dimensions and work more inside

How stout he is he isnt built for a hard grind em 12 round fight...he fights in spurts and his hand speed and accuracy make up for his inactivity in most cases....thats why he doesnt blow out top guys
        I agree with all of that. Will say I like the way it seemed like his defense improved in the Cotto fight but that wasn't a prime Cotto. I'd like to see him do that with a faster prime fighter. If he has the same results I could see him trying to fight in the pocket a little more. Canelo would be well served to learn how to get some rest while fighting on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
          I agree with all of that. Will say I like the way it seemed like his defense improved in the Cotto fight but that wasn't a prime Cotto. I'd like to see him do that with a faster prime fighter. If he has the same results I could see him trying to fight in the pocket a little more. Canelo would be well served to learn how to get some rest while fighting on the inside.
          Cotto has good hand speed but he was so much smaller and his reach is so short, Canelo saw everything coming. Im shocked Cotto's wasnt more a factor

this is going to rub some the wrong way but **** it....he needs to learn how to work inside...in the clinch out of the clinch, learn some head control, use his size and body weight to tire his opponents, he seems like a strong guy and his rest periods wont look so obvious also, he'll get some good leverage on his left hooks to the body in side

not saying he should pull a ricky hatton but some rough stuff inside would help

he has all the tools....i know he is loyal to reynosa but I think he has reached his ceiling with those guys

imagine if he was with Nacho or steward when he was alive.

Canelo with a better inside game would be a beast

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
            Canelo is better than Vargas to me Eventhough he'd likely struggle against Vargas' competition.

For the record you can argue Winky won 8 rounds against Vargas. On paper it's a good win fo Vargas. I remember thinking he clearly lost.

Its hard for me to say Canelo is better when the best fighter when canelo has fought so many smaller guys. Lara was a good win though...IDK if el feroz beats him but the same can be said about canelo vs tito and ODLH

I think they are on the same level...one was groomed better....one was rushed becauswe of his potential and willingness to prove himself....El feroz was a warrior

Man I was thinking....WTF is this kid doing fighting Wright and Quartey...its suicide

I was 11 years old when i saw him in the olympics....fast forward a few years and im in high school and this same guy that was a baby faced kid is fighting seasoned pros and future hall of famers

id have to watch it again...didnt score the fight when I saw it life but Ive watched it over the years and get so caught up watching it

these fights here are why they threw him in with tito..he beat two seasoned guys

with a little more time El Feroz wouldve had a better career imo

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              Cotto has good hand speed but he was so much smaller and his reach is so short, Canelo saw everything coming. Im shocked Cotto's wasnt more a factor

this is going to rub some the wrong way but **** it....he needs to learn how to work inside...in the clinch out of the clinch, learn some head control, use his size and body weight to tire his opponents, he seems like a strong guy and his rest periods wont look so obvious also, he'll get some good leverage on his left hooks to the body in side

not saying he should pull a ricky hatton but some rough stuff inside would help

he has all the tools....i know he is loyal to reynosa but I think he has reached his ceiling with those guys

imagine if he was with Nacho or steward when he was alive.

Canelo with a better inside game would be a beast
              Cotto's handspeed in that fight wasn't what it was when he was prime. So I think even with the shorter reach and size a faster Cotto punches would've been different.

I think Nacho would serve Canelo much much better than Steward ever could. I'm not really that high on Steward as a trainer for his work later on. I loved his work with Tommy Hearns though.

Comment

Tito at 154 would brutalise Canelo.

And much like he did Vargas, he would likely never be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
                  I think I Winky, Oscar, Tito and Quartey all beat him.
                  Quartey is the only one I'm on the fence about. Even as a Canelo fan, I see him losing pretty clearly to the rest. Tito would probably ruin him just like Vargas.

Comment

He would slaughter them all with ease.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot about Trinidad. Nobody could beat Trinidad when he was fighting at 154 so Canelo loses to Tito.

Comment

Working...
                      X