No announcement yet.

Punching power and body shots

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punching power and body shots

I just watched the recent Tim Bradley/Brandon Rios fight from this past weekend, and it got me wondering. Is punching power necessary in order to hurt your opponent to the body? Tim Bradley's not a guy who possesses a lot of power in his hands, but he was able to break down, and drop, Rios, who's shown to be a very durable fighter throughout his career. I'm sure that having exceptional power doesn't hurt, but is is necessary?

1) Tim displayed a lot more power since training with Atlas and tightening up his striking. You could see Brandon him hiding his face every time he got hit. Not something he is known for.

2) Power is Power but well-placed body shots are always uncomfortable. The trick is to get them in clean, and when your opponent doesn't see them. Obviously, landing them harder is better but, unlike the head, you feel body shots. Shots to the head slow your thinking but they don't physically weigh you down as much as body-shots. Some guys don't have the power to clean KO a guy to the head, but anyone can finish someone via an accumulation of body-shots if they're able to get the shots in.

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
      I just watched the recent Tim Bradley/Brandon Rios fight from this past weekend, and it got me wondering. Is punching power necessary in order to hurt your opponent to the body? Tim Bradley's not a guy who possesses a lot of power in his hands, but he was able to break down, and drop, Rios, who's shown to be a very durable fighter throughout his career. I'm sure that having exceptional power doesn't hurt, but is is necessary?
      It's all about timing.

Have you ever had a medicine ball thrown at your body?, it to keep your abdominal tight on impact, so when a body shot does get through, you don't get the wind taken out of you, and are prepared to take a forceful shot in worst case scenario.
      That brings us to the shot you don't see is the one that hurts the most. , so when you don't see it, your abdominal muscles should be relaxed, most often than not, and that shot would do a lot more damage since your abdominal muscles are not fully engaged.

hope this helps.

Comment

The biggest factor for me is simply that Rios is done.

He was in dreadful shape, his body was soft as hell and it showed.

Bradley can't punch, but he knew the opponent was weak at the body and continued to chip away at it until it caved.

Comment

Also power does come into play, shots coming from a bigger guy are always going to do more damage, even when they don't land cleanly.

Comment

Regardless of how durable you are, a well placed/timed body shot could hurt you (specifically around the liver). We've seen non-punchers hurt guys to the body time and time again.

Comment

Rios didn't see that uppercut that hit him to the body. IMO that hurts A HELL OF ALOT MORE cuz you wont have time to prepare for it and took all his air away.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
                It's all about timing.

Have you ever had a medicine ball thrown at your body?, it to keep your abdominal tight on impact, so when a body shot does get through, you don't get the wind taken out of you, and are prepared to take a forceful shot in worst case scenario.
                That brings us to the shot you don't see is the one that hurts the most. , so when you don't see it, your abdominal muscles should be relaxed, most often than not, and that shot would do a lot more damage since your abdominal muscles are not fully engaged.

hope this helps.
                This exactly right here!

Comment

You'll be feeling a decent 'tap' to the liver.

I wasn't hit very hard there but still felt it for a good minute.

Comment

No just put it on the right spot solar plex liver upper part of the backside of rib

Comment

Working...
                    X