No announcement yet.

Guzman shot?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guzman shot?

being a small fighter with big spans of inactivity of late, could guzman's chance for greatness passed? or was his last performance down to lots of ring rust?

tbh it didn't look like the guzman who beat soto and barrios

your thoughts please...

Originally posted by samoram View Post
    being a small fighter with big spans of inactivity of late, could guzman's chance for greatness passed? or was his last performance down to lots of ring rust?

your thoughts please...
    He started off well in the fight and though got beaten up by Funeka never gave in and fought until the end. I thought he won the 12th too......I think it has more to do with Funeka being the real deal. The busted nose seemed to change everything and Guzman's gameplan went out the window after that. It could have restricted his breathing......

Comment

Originally posted by samoram View Post

your thoughts please...
      It looks like he tried to fight a more crowd pleasing action packed style. Combine that with the fact that Ali Funeka is a beast and you have the beat down we witnessed last Saturday. Funeka gives everyone in that division fits with his size, endurance and durability.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
        He started off well in the fight and though got beaten up by Funeka never gave in and fought until the end. I thought he won the 12th too......I think it has more to do with Funeka being the real deal. The busted nose seemed to change everything and Guzman's gameplan went out the window after that. It could have restricted his breathing......
        Even after the first round - which he won handily - I posted on the round by round thread that he looked older, much slower and rusty. Compared to how he was 2-3 years ago, Guzman is washed up.

Comment

Lets hope Guzman takes this as a postive and stays active.

Comment

nothing wrong with guzmans performance, he just took on an animal in ali funeka. the same guy who iced raheem and was beating nate campbell most of their fight. guzman fought a good fight, against funeka he was just bound to be a victim.

look at raheem against funeka.. a short boxer always struggles against a taller guy with boxing skills, styles make fights. just like benitez and leonard both failed to outbox tommy hearns. and even though he wasnt a boxer saddler still gave pep way to much to handle.. styles make fights.

Comment

Yea, i'll say he is shot, also it seems to be a common thing that when the PR/Dom fighters also alot of the Cubans hit their late 20's early 30's, they as fighters seem to peak in their mid 20's. They dominate then either a lose focus/interest and never look the same in their earlier days especially when they have had success. With Guzman 3 fights in 3 years especially when your having weight issues and your the wrong side of 30 aint a good look. Plus having as many amateur fights as Guzman has had it has taken its toll on his body

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                Even after the first round - which he won handily - I posted on the round by round thread that he looked older, much slower and rusty. Compared to how he was 2-3 years ago, Guzman is washed up.
                I thought his speed looked outstanding early on......if he would have been able to do what he did the first 2 rounds for most of the fight he would have won and made Funeka look slow in the process......without the busted nose and cut caused by a head clash the fight may have gone differently......I wish Guzman the best and hope they rematch sometime. even though Guzman should have lost it was still an entertaining scrap.

Comment

guzman has been getting away fighting based solely on talent. it could only get him so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                    guzman has been getting away fighting based solely on talent. it could only get him so far.
                    You don't think he showed heart? He was taking a beating towards the end and never quit trying to win. I didn't really know that much about him and had only seen a few of his fights but he won me over with the guts he showed against Funeka.

Comment

Working...
                    X