Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets honestly evaluate floyd's performance vs ortiz.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Floyds skills are detracting from him...in some peoples' minds if a guy lands a flurry on Mayweather then they could possible have won the round despite him dominating the majority of the round, which is ridiculous[/QUOTE]

exactly what ive been wanting to say. you put it perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
      I have challenged, ummm, probably a dozen people to show me a highlight reel of clean Ortiz shots. They can't.

Vic wasn't landing **** clean.
      I don't know how to make a highlight reel, but I do know what I saw in the 4th round at about the 1:30 mark and then again at the 0:15 mark.

I also saw Floyd missing A LOT more than he usually does against a not exactly hard to hit guy.

Even compubox, which I put less and less stock into, had Floyd missing by about 10% more.

If that's a more elusive guy, I think that goes down to about 35-40% accuracy. Given Floyd's style, he loses every fight throwing at 35% accuracy and probably loses most fights throwing 40%.

Comment

I have been watching ALL hbo and showtime boxing for 14 years now, so I seen Floyd since then. I always respected his talent, but never like the guy. When he beat Corrales, he dedicated the fight to all battered women, then years later he is beating his baby momma.

Anyway, on to the fight. I havent seen Floyd miss so many punches - YES I know he landed and supposedly controlled the fight, but I saw him hit air alot - something I was not used to seeing Floyd do. Like Bernard, Floyd never wastes punches but I guess styles make fights.

I knew Floyd would eventually dominate Ortiz, so Im pissed he didnt finish in styslistic fashion. If the Zab Judah fight ended in the 5th round with an accidental clash of heads and they went to the score cards, I think Zab would have won on the cards. Point being, we cant trully Judge what we seen in the Ortiz fight, because as a WW floyd doesnt end fights early, he comes on stronger in the second half of the fight.

Bottom line, Floyd should SHUT UP AND FIGHT THE MAN, because PAC doesnt get gassed out, and Pac can fight @ the same pace for 24 rounds if he has to.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ozQs...eature=related

6:00 into the video... the first initial right hook that caught floyd off guard definately landed clean.

Comment

To be honest, in the first 4 rounds, he looked about the same as he did against Mosley. If the Mosley fight would have ended in the 4th round, how would people have rated that fight??? They would have said he's slowed down and got caught twice with two big shots from Mosley, and the fight was 2-2 after 4 rounds.

The first two rounds against Ortiz, although I scored round 1 for Floyd and round 2 was even (he still landed more often than Ortiz in the 2nd), I think he looked tentative. That's most likely due to the fact that Ortiz is the most dangerous opponent he's faced since Hatton in 07' and better than anyone Manny has fought since Marquez in 08'. Ortiz doesn't have lightning speed or anything, but he's far more faster than Marquez was in 09' or Mosley in 10'. Watch rounds 3 and 4...yeah Ortiz got him on the ropes 2-3 times for about 5 seconds each, but how much really landed??? It looked like when he was fighting Hatton or De La Hoya again. Plus, Victor out weighed Floyd by 14 lbs and walked into the ring as a Middleweight. But, Floyd was really opening up on Ortiz in rounds 3 and 4, until the headbutt. Floyd is a notoriously slow starter, and after round 2 when Ortiz had the most success, he started to open up on him. He looked as sharp as ever in rounds 3 and 4, and nobody would be saying he looked old had the fight gone a full 12 rounds. Anyone with eyes could see the boxing exhibition that was unfolding after round 2.

Floyd isn't in his "prime" anymore...he hasn't really been prime since the Hatton fight in 07'. He's past his prime, but still really good. He better not take any layoffs though, because the next one WILL catch up with him.

Comment

i think floyd looked fine... i was surprised he threw combos i havent seen since he was in 130s... although they were a tad slower & sloppier, i HIGHLY appreciated the effort. i hope he takes the b-hop, jmm route of asserting himself and trading as he gets older.

i thought ortiz won round 4. floyd had moments, but ortiz bobbed and avoided alot of floyds shots. floyd got tagged by alot surprisingly... since ortiz is far from being labeled "elite". goes to show how effective aggressive combination punching are against floyd.

i REALLY think it wouldve been a great fight if it went on.... we got robbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomislav III View Post
                I don't know how to make a highlight reel, but I do know what I saw in the 4th round at about the 1:30 mark and then again at the 0:15 mark.

I also saw Floyd missing A LOT more than he usually does against a not exactly hard to hit guy.

Even compubox, which I put less and less stock into, had Floyd missing by about 10% more.

If that's a more elusive guy, I think that goes down to about 35-40% accuracy. Given Floyd's style, he loses every fight throwing at 35% accuracy and probably loses most fights throwing 40%.
                Watch the Mayweather-Judah fight. Floyd missed more than normal in the first 4 rounds, and didn't really start opening up on Judah until the 5th. Floyd started opening up on Ortiz during the 3rd. I would have considered Mayweather prime in 06' against Judah, but he missed much more than in recent fights of his in 04' and 05'. Judah was pretty quick, and Ortiz isn't slow. Judah was also in his prime, as is Ortiz. Judah is a southpaw with decent power, and Ortiz is a southpaw with great power. Mayweather was better in 06' than he is now, but that comes with age. His reflexes are still pretty sharp and when he had to avoid the big shots, he did for the most part. No other boxer is critiqued to the point that Mayweather is. If Floyd's opponents land 4-5 punches on him while in the ropes for about 15 seconds in the round, some people completely forget about the other 2:45 where Floyd landed straight rights, counters, and quick left hooks all round. Its funny to be honest.

Also, if Judah was a come stright forward and be agressive, he would have gotten Floyd on the ropes in the first 4 rounds too.

It's nice to see that Floyd fought a prime fighter, with power, coming iff big wins, and if he's not completely as dominate, he's not what he was. I certainly didn't see Manny trying to fight Ortiz when he had the chance. TRUTH.

Comment

a honest evaluation??? on this forum??? YEAH...GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

by the way, doesn't Mayweather always get tagged early in fights? Judah, Mosley, Hatton, even Marquez got in one good shot early before Mayweather knocked him down
                  Last edited by KnockUTheFukOut; 09-28-2011, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SyrianKid View Post
                    PEOPLE ALWAYS SAY THAT MAYWEATHER STARTS SLOWLY IN THE EARLY ROUNDS AND THE FIGHT ENDED IN THE 4th ROUND

Dude come on if it wasn't for the sucker punch it would have gone 12 rounds if not it would have been Floyd who got stopped cause those body shots were going to take it's toll. Thats why he wants no rematch

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                      Dude come on if it wasn't for the sucker punch it would have gone 12 rounds if not it would have been Floyd who got stopped cause those body shots were going to take it's toll. Thats why he wants no rematch
                      RIGHT...and those Right Hands Mayweather was landing AT WILL would not have taken its toll right... lol

Comment

Working...
                      X