Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Save 24/7, weren't HBO's fight broadcasts sooo much better in the '80's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save 24/7, weren't HBO's fight broadcasts sooo much better in the '80's?

I'm just saying that everything was put together in a superior way. The bio's/profiles before the fight were much more interesting & seemingly more detailed. The music was more exciting & the presentation rocked. They'd even put real pop songs in the program/end credits instead of the same lame HBO house sounds over & over...

Mint....

There were tons of good fights on regular TV....but the big-time ones were on HBO. So, it was incredibly exciting to be there in front of a television when that HBO symbol came up and that triumphant music kicked in. I didn't have HBO as a kid, so I'd go to my grandparent's house, which made it seem all the more special/unique.

I also preferred Barry Tompkins to Jim Lampley.

Comment

short answer - yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR3z_aRzEyI&feature=fvsr

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
        Mint....

There were tons of good fights on regular TV....but the big-time ones were on HBO. So, it was incredibly exciting to be there in front of a television when that HBO symbol came up and that triumphant music kicked in. I didn't have HBO as a kid, so I'd go to my grandparent's house, which made it seem all the more special/unique.

Hell yeah to that. Tompkins actually called an acccurate blow by blow instead of pushing the HBO propaganda and his own agenda.

Comment

I was really thinking about the way HBO presentations were put together moreso than the quality of the fights themselves. Yes, I actually liked Tompkins' style much better than Lampley. People have said that Merchant had been a bit biased over the years. But, I think if anyone's noticably biased it's Lampley. He always had seemed to speak favorably when it came to contractual HBO fighters. Granted, when it comes to ref's calls and such he seems as though he's mostly honest.

Also, Sugar Ray Leonard was an excellent color commentator. He always was well-spoken and very knowledgable about fighters and situations. God knows why they couldn't patch things up with him whatever the issue was at the time. What I'd really like as a boxing fan is the ability to purchase DVD's of the classic HBO shows in their entirety. I know there are places on the net where you can order them. But, they don't seem to be put together very professionally.

Comment

Who wouldn't prefer him to "BANG, BANG, BANG, BOOM"

That **** is just childish and he even does it for missed blows sometimes.

What's even worse is if he doesn't respect the other fighter, he'll ignore the work they're doing.

Example: Pacquiao-Bradley. No matter who you think won, he was ignoring every single thing Bradley landed, and calling Pacquiao's missed punches as if they were landing flush.

Horrible commentator, even if he adds to the excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
              Who wouldn't prefer him to "BANG, BANG, BANG, BOOM"

That **** is just childish and he even does it for missed blows sometimes.

What's even worse is if he doesn't respect the other fighter, he'll ignore the work they're doing.

Example: Pacquiao-Bradley. No matter who you think won, he was ignoring every single thing Bradley landed, and calling Pacquiao's missed punches as if they were landing flush.

Horrible commentator, even if he adds to the excitement.
              So true. Too bad so many others don't realize that.

Comment

HBO.. Bring back Barry and Ray!!!!!!

Comment

I have despised Lampley since '92. Why?

Well, every year KO Magazine would assemble a bunch of "experts" to list their top ten fighters in the world and then the mag would tally them up and declare someone the best in the world. Guess who were Lampley's #1 and #2? RIDDICK BOWE and LENNOX LEWIS. Yes, those two guys were better fighters than Whitaker and Chavez, who were a year away from fighting from each other.....and both near their peaks. I knew reading this that Lampley was a complete fraud, a know-nothing, a shill. As the years progressed I never felt he was anything more than a fraud and also discovered he was an overdramatic, biased, and completely blind ****head of a commentator.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Lampley, but then again I tend to ignore the commentators anyways.

I don't know if it was the broadcasts that were better as much as it was that the fights were better. You could have three chimpanzees calling the action for Leonard-Hearns and I'd still enjoy it.

I didn't have HBO as a kid, so I'd go to my grandparent's house, which made it seem all the more special/unique.
                    Every year I got to choose a fight to watch at Jay's Lounge (kids are allowed in bars in Michigan) on HBO. I always chose a Sugar Ray Leonard fight.
                    Last edited by SBleeder; 08-14-2012, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X