best at weight classes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best at weight classes

I did a search on the best of each weight classes. the orginal eight
    do you agree that pep, duran, robinson, greb, and charles are the best alltime at their respective weights feather through lhw?

Probably, although I've heard Spinks also mentioned as a candidate for best light heavy and others besides Duran at lightweight. I'm sure others will weigh in with those names soon enough.

Comment

I agree on everyone except for Duran. I actually rank Gans and Leonard ahead of Duran at 135. I could see ranking Duran ahead of Leonard, but Joe Gans is simply the best lightweight I've ever seen, and his resume, while a bit weaker than Leonard's, is on par with Duran's. Head to head I don't think anyone in history could beat a prime Joe Gans, and that's just based on the relatively limited footage I have of him.

I agree with Pep as the GOAT featherweight, but Armstrong could make a claim too.

Sam Langford is extremely hard to rate at any one weight class, but he may have been at his best at welterweight... and maybe as good as Robinson. Not enough footage of either man at welterweight to say.

Comment

Head to head I don't think anyone in history could beat a prime Joe Gans, and that's just based on the relatively limited footage I have of him.

I too have seen the footage of him and it's marred by incessant clinching.

Comment

Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde

Bantamweight - Eder Jofre

Featherweight - Willie Pep

Lightweight - Benny Leonard

Welterweight - Ray Robinson

Middleweight - Carlos Monzon

Light Heavyweight - Ezzard Charles

Heavyweight - Joe Louis

Comment

Gimme Bob Foster at lhwt, other than that your list is good

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              Head to head I don't think anyone in history could beat a prime Joe Gans, and that's just based on the relatively limited footage I have of him.

I too have seen the footage of him and it's marred by incessant clinching.
              No more clinching than we see with today's fighters, and modern guys are only going 12 rounds. Gans had a great work-rate, and working in a clinch wasn't a rest period like it is today.

Which fights of his have you seen?

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
                Gimme Bob Foster at lhwt, other than that your list is good
                Based on what?

Because it certainly can't be based on resume.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  No more clinching than we see with today's fighters, and modern guys are only going 12 rounds. Gans had a great work-rate, and working in a clinch wasn't a rest period like it is today.

Which fights of his have you seen?

Don't remember which fights....just remember there were more clinches than punches in what I watched. A massive turn off.

Comment

Have to put more thought into he little guys but at;

feather ...Sandy Sadler (sorry Uncle Pep)

light...Joe Gans (Benny Leonard)

welter... Sugar Ray Robinson

middle...Sugar Ray Robinson

LtHvy...Gene Tunney (Evander Holyfield)

Hvy.....Joe Louis

the only one I'd bet on consistantly is Robinson! I'll say theres atleast 6 in all the classes that could fight one another and they'd defeat one another also! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X