Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you score Holmes-Cooney through 12 rounds?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you score Holmes-Cooney through 12 rounds?

Two judges had it 113-111 for Holmes, which is pretty damn generous to Gerry. That's giving Cooney 7 rounds, then taking away the 3 points for low blows and another for the KD.

One had it 115-109, which is also how I had it. That's still 7-5 Holmes, which when I think about it, is very impressive from Cooney's standpoint. Untested, inactive for awhile, and doing that well against one of the best HWs ever.

Others thought it was more one-sided than that, but I thought Cooney did a good job. He was landing good body shots, one of which hurt Larry at the end of the 4th. He was doing a pretty nice job with his jab at times too, sometimes doubling up on it.

You hear all the "Great White Hope/Hype" stuff....in defeat, I think Cooney showed his quality as a fighter as a legitimate contender. Rappaport and that other guy did a good job at getting the big payday, but not necessarily in maximizing Cooney's fighting abilities, as he could have used more seasoning.

The 80s....so much wasted talent at HW.

I don't have an exact score after 12 but I had larry comfortably ahead

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome-O View Post
      Two judges had it 113-111 for Holmes, which is pretty damn generous to Gerry. That's giving Cooney 7 rounds, then taking away the 3 points for low blows and another for the KD.

One had it 115-109, which is also how I had it. That's still 7-5 Holmes, which when I think about it, is very impressive from Cooney's standpoint. Untested, inactive for awhile, and doing that well against one of the best HWs ever.

Others thought it was more one-sided than that, but I thought Cooney did a good job. He was landing good body shots, one of which hurt Larry at the end of the 4th. He was doing a pretty nice job with his jab at times too, sometimes doubling up on it.

You hear all the "Great White Hope/Hype" stuff....in defeat, I think Cooney showed his quality as a fighter as a legitimate contender. Rappaport and that other guy did a good job at getting the big payday, but not necessarily in maximizing Cooney's fighting abilities, as he could have used more seasoning.

Larry was definitely ahead, but Cooney certainly won some rounds. He was a pretty good heavyweight who just ran into one of the best versions of Larry Holmes.

But, if I'm honest......if that fight was even remotely close, Cooney would have been taking those belts. A lot of people wanted him to win that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Larry was definitely ahead, but Cooney certainly won some rounds. He was a pretty good heavyweight who just ran into one of the best versions of Larry Holmes.

But, if I'm honest......if that fight was even remotely close, Cooney would have been taking those belts. A lot of people wanted him to win that fight.
        Damn straight! People prolly have to scratch the brain but the truth is that Holmes was very maligned, called a carbon copy of Ali (yes people used carbons back then!) and many more not so nice things....Cooney was propped up as the white avenger who would teach Holmes a lesson

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Damn straight! People prolly have to scratch the brain but the truth is that Holmes was very maligned, called a carbon copy of Ali (yes people used carbons back then!) and many more not so nice things....Cooney was propped up as the white avenger who would teach Holmes a lesson
          Carbon paper was nasty. I forgot how much I didn't miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome-O View Post

I think its a damn shame that cooney didn't fight a weaver or coetzea before holmes. Id have fancied his chances against the other 2 but holmes was just way too experienced and savvy for a young cooney. its a shame cooney never seemed the same after this fight because I think he was definitely one of the most talented of the white contenders. that double left hook was devastating

Comment

Holmes was well ahead. Cooney would have done better had he got a few ten rounders under his belt before fighting for the title. But I guess it wasn't his fault he got everyone out of there early.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

I'm glad Holmes is starting to get the merit he deserves. I personally think his boxing was absolutely superb. One of the very best, no doubt!

I gather that the US President had a party ready for Cooney's expected triumph! Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Carbon paper was nasty. I forgot how much I didn't miss it.
                  I remember even using it in school in the '90s. The only place I still see it now is at banks with money orders or maybe postal money orders.

Comment

I watched this a couple weeks ago and I am surprised the judges scored it that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X