No announcement yet.

Albert "Chalky" Wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert "Chalky" Wright

Record: 158 (81 KO)-43 (7 KO'd)-18 (2NC)

Described by Hank Kaplan as "a good all-around boxer-puncher."

Reporter Stanley Woodward, after he watched Wright's five-round knockout of Phil Terranova, wrote in the June 6, 1943, New York Tribune:

"It was the first time we ever had seen Chalky and we came away convinced that he is the greatest boxer and smartest operator and the most efficient puncher of his time... Every move he makes is the perfect illustration for a treatise on how to box. He walks out flatfooted, conserving his ancient legs. He blocks non chalantly and slips punches by moving his head just enough. When he hits he doesn't miss. The one-two with which he knocked down the outclassed Terranova in the second round was the most perfect punch seen in the Garden since Joe Louis was a civilian."

That's pretty high praise...

His list of opponents includes Willie Pep, Eddie Shea, Freddie Miller, Baby Arizmendi, Pablo Dano, Henry Armstrong, Kid Tanner, Tommy Speigal, Cocoa Kid, Jimmy Leto, Sal Bartolo, Jackie Wilson, Joey Archibald, Ray Lunny, Bobby Ruffin, Richie Lemos, Lulu Constantino, Harry Jeffra, Allie Stoltz, Joey Peralta, Phil Terranova, Willie Joyce and Enrique Bolanos.

I'm eager to learn more about Chalky Wright so my questions to you is:

Where would you rank him as a featherweight? Top 15?
    And what was his strenghts/weaknesses?

/greeh
    Last edited by greeh; 08-25-2013, 10:11 AM.

One more thing about Chalky Wright. Before he earned his first title shot, he had fought 138 times!

/greeh

Comment

The mexican Chalky Wright long time not hearing about him

Comment

Originally posted by Max Mad View Post
        I think it's fun if a thread don't always have to be about heavyweights. Many of the posters here seems to get attracted by men who has an extra amount of fat around their waist because that's all they are talking about. Modern sized heavyweights they call it. I call it sloppy fat ****s.

Back to Chalky Wright. What's your opinion on him? Do you think he's a Top 15 featherweight?

/greeh

Comment

No one? Really?

/greeh

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
            One more thing about Chalky Wright. Before he earned his first title shot, he had fought 138 times!

/greeh
            Originally posted by Max Mad View Post
            Good thread,,,,

This goes out to irondan and some others,

I only quoted the 2 above because in the infamous ross-holyfield debate,, people acted like everyone got a fair shake, and ross, and mcclarin etc fought everyone and nobody was dodged, and they werent protected by mafia matchmaking,,,
            yet you hear numerous stories of ike, langford, sRR, black murders row, and now chalky wright,,, he had to wait 138 fights before a title shot,, and dude was probably on the downhill slide by the time he got them,,,,,
            Thats why i hate comparing fighters from that era to guys of modern era,,,
            There is no way to really know how good ross and co were because of all the shady matchmaking, bribes, dives, etc,,,,,,
            Chalky wright is just another example of guys who had to wait forever to get a title shot, if they even recieved them at all,,,, but then look at ross, mcclarin, canzoroni never had to weight,,, hell ross only has like 77 fights, yet chalky and SRR had to wait forever to get even a title shot,,,,
            Its beyond insanity to think ross, mcclarin, etc was so much better than a holyfield who actually fought everyone under the sun in his day from all across the globe,,
            If some posters still feel that the pre1960s was a legit era and had the best fighters, than more power to you, but the facts are pretty clear that ross and co got protected,,,, while black and latino fighters had to struggle and wait,,,

Comment

I think Chalkey Wright is one of the most undeserving fighters to be inducted into the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                I think Chalkey Wright is one of the most undeserving fighters to be inducted into the HOF.
                I can agree on that he lost against the best he fought. But I can name quite a few other fighters that I think are more undeserving than Chalky. Where would you place him amongst featherweights? Top 20?

/greeh
                Last edited by greeh; 08-27-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greeh View Post
                  I can agree on that he lost against the best he fought. But I can name quite a few other fighters that I think are more undeserving than Chalky. Where would you place him amongst featherweights? Top 20?

/greeh
                  Who do you think? There's not many.

McGuigan, Pastrano, I don't think there's many more.

Really not sure where I would place Wright on the ATG Featherweight list.

Don't think he'd make my Top 20 off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Who do you think? There's not many.

McGuigan, Pastrano, I don't think there's many more.

Really not sure where I would place Wright on the ATG Featherweight list.

Don't think he'd make my Top 20 off the top of my head.
                    Barry McGuigan, Arturo Gatti, Khaosai Galaxy and Mark Johnson.
                    Those are the ones off the top of my head. Daniel Zaragoza is also in the discussion.

/greeh
                    Last edited by greeh; 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X