Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael With A Good Blog On Whats Next & Who Controls Who Between Haymon & GBP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MayMosPeaHop View Post
    This is prize fighting - Why lock yourself into a lengthy contract with a promoter? Nowadays, that is dumb!! The blueprint has been given. Oscar, FMJ, and now Cotto have shown the younger fighters how to run their business. Look at Chaves Jr. and Mikey Garcia. Very smart moves trying to get from under their promoter. They want more control over their careers. How could anyone complain? The hatred for Haymon shows ignorance and a lack of respect for the fighters. The fact is fighters sign with Haymon to maximize profits. Anyone hating on that is a real hoe.

so i guess is cool to backstab your boss while hes in rehab right. contract or no contract haymon and floyd dont want no more business with gbp, now whos the real hoe? floyd ran so fast as soon as he heard gbp and tr would work together and a possible fight between him and pac, made him a tbe marathon winner.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
      These are admirable ideas but they are a bit too pie-in-the-sky and need a dose of reality.

1. The chance of fighters banding together and snatching leverage from promoters is about 0%. At the end of the day someone has to foot the bill and put on a show. Fighters have enough to worry about that is why they have managers and promoters in the first place and that is why they will never dictate the economy of the sport just like every other athlete in every other sport.

2. Boxing has problems but you are overstating its brokenness. The basic system of promoters building up fighters has always, ans still is, in tact. Barring some sort of organized league, its essential. This is how Canelo, Pac, Cotto, and even oscar and floyd became names. Tertiary circumstances like the cold war and network house fighters hinder this system but it's still what drives the sport.

3. "Fighters would fight for the guy who bids the most, that is not a broken system they just have to make money when the guy fights for them." This is another pie-in-the-sky view. Marketing and building a fighter takes time. Its an investment and like anything else, doesnt pay off with out years of effort. Perhaps you are too focused on fighters with an established name bouncing around...but ask yourself how would they become that name dancing around between promoters? It would never happen.
      1) They said the same think about baseball players, football players (both kinds), basketball players and they all have much better deals than boxers. Which provides a drain on talent wanting to enter the sport, why box if you are top end athlete that has other options.

2) Boxing is broken and has been forever, it is a house with a rotten wood frame that needs to be burnt to the ground. Who says it is promoters that have to build fighters, that is just how it has been done, not a law sent down from on high. It can work but how many guys really make it and how many get jobbed.

3) It can be made to work, and instead of focusing on fighters it would focus the sport on events because events would need to make money.

It would be a drastic change, but I would say drastic change is needed for the sport long term. Also I am being purposely very simple because it is a very complex issue, in reality guys should be free to sign long term deals if they want or work on a fight by fight basis. If both were options it would be even better, because then the long term deal would have to be good providing benefit to the fighter as opposed to keeping the guy under lock and key.

Comment

This is all on Oscar. He couldn't keep his life together or his business. It is not like he made it hard for Haymon and Schaefer to do this. And lets be real for a moment, GBP didn't matter without Schaefer and Haymon. So really, I can't feel bad for Oscar on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by LHK View Post
          This is all on Oscar. He couldn't keep his life together or his business. It is not like he made it hard for Haymon and Schaefer to do this. And lets be real for a moment, GBP didn't matter without Schaefer and Haymon. So really, I can't feel bad for Oscar on this one.

spoken like a true floyd fan......

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
            spoken like a true floyd fan......
            I am a Floyd fan. I am also a Manny fan, and was a big fan of Oscar growing up. None of this changes how poorly Oscar has handled everything here.

Comment

Working...
            X