Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The running discussion - Is lateral movement and running the same thing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The running discussion - Is lateral movement and running the same thing?

I'm asking because I see a lot of people labelling fighters that circle around the ring as runners. What exactly do you class as running and what do you actually class as lateral movement?

I also see a lot of people saying that moving should lead to point deductions and aggression should be awarded - I often question this, should aggression be awarded even if the fighter is landing about the same amount as their opponent/the amount that is landing is just about as effective as their opponent? Isn't the whole point of effective aggression is to impose your style on an opponent in a way that causes your opponent to fight your fight by landing cleaner, more effective shots as well as outworking your opponent?

Effective aggression does not mean imposing your style on anybody, it means effective aggression. At the end of the day it's a fight, the person doing the most damage should theoretically be winning the fight. Lara could do what he did against Canelo 25 rounds, and nothing would get done, there is absolutely nothing effective about it.

Comment

Depends whether you happen to like the fighter or not.

Comment

It's one of those things. I can't quite describe it, but you know it when you see it.

Lara literally moved halfway across the ring at times against Canelo. It felt like an unnatural disruption of the action. Someone circling their opponent while moving backwards/laterally throwing jabs might be boring, but it's doing something.

Comment

Comment

I like to bring up Lara vs Alvarez as an example when I hear fighters being called "runners" & "brawlers". In that particular fight there were times when Lara moved because he was hurt & it effected his offence therefore making Canelo "the effective aggressor" or "ring general" for that/those rounds. Then there were times where Lara moved and it was confusing Canelo effecting his offensive output and allowed Lara to set up his offense therefore making Lara the ring general for those rounds. Ive watched this fight 3x's and had it a draw each time with sporadic scoring of rounds.

But I think the problem people have with fighters that use lateral movement alot is when they move and dont do it to set up offense, when its more to avoid a fight all together. IDK how a fighter can win a round when he engages very little but at the same time if the agressors punching at the air I dont think he should win the round either. So in those cases an even rd should be scored.

Comment

Well, right off the bat you made the mistake of labeling lateral movementas circling around the ring. Some of the best lateral movement comes from guys like Ward and Pacquiao who use it while they strike. Lateral movement can be used in a lot of ways. Guys who fight conservatively and back away frequently rather than slip/block/etc are usually called runners.

Comment

There have been very few instances of boxers actually running. People like to call it that when a fighter they're rooting for finds it difficult to hit his opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
                  There have been very few instances of boxers actually running. People like to call it that when a fighter they're rooting for finds it difficult to hit his opponent.
                  No, they say that when a fighter detracts from the quality of the fight by continually moving away from the opponent. When you pretend otherwise you're just as bad as the people who call every defensive fighter a runner. I almost never use the term but don't hold anything against those who do. Pro boxers are generating money from fans and fans expect entertainment. If you just want to see guys win above all else, go watch amateur fights exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    No, they say that when a fighter detracts from the quality of the fight by continually moving away from the opponent. When you pretend otherwise you're just as bad as the people who call every defensive fighter a runner. I almost never use the term but don't hold anything against those who do. Pro boxers are generating money from fans and fans expect entertainment. If you just want to see guys win above all else, go watch amateur fights exclusively.
                    Exactly.

_______

Comment

Working...
                    X