Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tyson Fury Focused on Impressing American Fight Fans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He going have go in much more agressively then he normally does!!!

Lennox being canadian probably didnt help!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ulver View Post
      But given the history of the HW division, the person you speak of would have to be very special indeed to totally overcome the prejudices against a non-US champion.
      The prejudices are stylistic, not nationalistic.

If we ever see a heavy who can fight like Pac or JMM or Sergio Martinez he will be as popular in America as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

If we ever see a heavy who can fight like Pac or JMM or Sergio Martinez he will be as popular in America as they are.
        Because of the size of contestants now getting into heavyweight boxing, to expect a heavyweight who is 6'6" + and 240 + pounds to fight like the people you mentioned is fantasy. Not gonna happen. And the days of a fighter the size of Tyson being a HW champ are over.

I also don't buy that the prejudices are entirely stylistic. That may be a part of it, but only a part. Boxing lore in America focuses on the HW division and Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, and so on. The heavyweight championship of the world is something that many American boxing fans and writers feel should remain in American hands.

I can understand that point of view, but the reality is that the rest of world has caught up and now surpassed American heavyweights, at least for the last two eras of Lewis and the Klitschkos. What comes next, who knows?

Comment

Looking forward to seeing his cousin, Hughie, on the undercard. He's one to watch. That will be his 2nd pro fight, and his trainer wants him to have over 10 fights by the end of the year. That's what you call "keeping active".

Comment

Originally posted by StillAlive2k View Post
            He going have go in much more agressively then he normally does!!!

Lennox being canadian probably didnt help!!!!
            Lewis was English. He was born in London. Not sure if you've heard of it. Small town just south of Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulver View Post
              Because of the size of contestants now getting into heavyweight boxing, to expect a heavyweight who is 6'6" + and 240 + pounds to fight like the people you mentioned is fantasy. Not gonna happen. And the days of a fighter the size of Tyson being a HW champ are over.
              I don't think it's fantasy at all. It's not too much to ask that these big guys show the great skill that is expected of a heavyweight champion.

David Price at times flashed the type of combinations that would get Americans excited, but his defense unfortunately was not up to par.

As for the nationalism I think it's bunk. Americans have shown time and time again that they will support foreign fighters. It's true that we dominated the HW division like no other for about 100 years or so but that doesn't mean we wouldn't accept a foreign HW if he lived up to our standards.
              Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

I disagree simply because I believe that if the Klit bros had been born in America they be as popular as Chevrolet's and apple pie regardless of their style.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
                  I disagree simply because I believe that if the Klit bros had been born in America they be as popular as Chevrolet's and apple pie regardless of their style.
                  mayweather disagrees with you

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
                    mayweather disagrees with you
                    The last time I looked Floyd isn't a 6'6" 245 pound white heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
                      Again...can one get more popular than, say, Manny Pacquiao? He wasn't born in America yet that hasn't stopped him from becoming a huge star. So obviously that isn't the reason.

In my opinion it's the robotic Eastern Euro style that turns off the fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X