No announcement yet.

The Unpopular Opinion thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hamza305 View Post
    I've got several unpopular opinions so I'll roll one out - Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter and has a great resume
    In their heart of hearts, most everyone that follows boxing would agree unanimously with the first one. Mayweather is a legitimate ATG with some of the most impressive and complete performances on film.

Second one? Bit of a stretch. I am in the camp that believes a lot of it is not his fault however, rather Bob Arum's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
      In their heart of hearts, most everyone that follows boxing would agree unanimously with the first one. Mayweather is a legitimate ATG with some of the most impressive and complete performances on film.

Second one? Bit of a stretch. I am in the camp that believes a lot of it is not his fault however, rather Bob Arum's.
      Not sure who you refer to, is it manny paquiao who you think is NOT an ATG ?... He is, there is no way he isn't.. if he aint great then Floyd can't be,

Comment

• Originally posted by NChristo View Post
        Give me a list of his best wins please, he's great, just not top 25 material, at all, you will see why if you can muster together a half decent list.
        I've read plenty, there is absolutely nothing that put's this mans name next too Ezzard Charles, Robinson, Langford etc, real top tier ATGs, Wilde is probably more in the same tier as Darcy, around the 40s - 50s or so if Darcy is even that high.
        Oh is that what you were arguing, Top 25, that's a hell of a lot different to saying he's not and ATG... there is no consensus as to how many ATG's there are. I dont think we have enough tbh. Take someone like Daniel Mendoza... ATG yet I never see him or any other very old timer mentioned. Wilde did fight many terrific fighters and was a maniacal KO artist for a flyweight. I dont want to argue a TOP 25 because theres no such thing, too many fighters have too much predjudice against them, hell not just fighters, but whole eras,, and whole divisions are met with modern derision, and unfairly too. ------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I may personally agree that Charles has more impressive record but I can argue that MANY MANY fantastic Flyweights have been in the ring, I also find it impossible to believe that Wilde's opponents were bums... that is an impossibility in such an era.. most fights were close fights then, fact is mate that the Flyweight division is usually overlooked and hardly any Flyweights were ever written about. It is a division that needs a very good historian devoted to just the tiny blokes. You know fans have always preferred the bigger guys, and therefore little guys get shafted. ---------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Just look at any top 100 p4p list and tell me how many flyweights, bantams and Feathers are in those lists... usually those 3 divisions make up less than 10 per cent in the lists. Don't get fooled by it mate, Wilde was a phenomenon.

Comment

• That's also because those lower weight classes don't have lineal title histories that last as long as heavyweight, light heavy, middle, light and welter. I guess it's because many of the best and champions move up where there's more money and fame.

Comment

• And speaking of unpopular opinions, while I think they are all time greats and had great fights against their best opponents, I'm just not a huge fan of either Muhammad Ali or Roberto Duran. So I'm saying they're great, but I don't rank them as high as personal favorites.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
              Not sure who you refer to, is it manny paquiao who you think is NOT an ATG ?... He is, there is no way he isn't.. if he aint great then Floyd can't be,
              I didn't mention Pacquiao.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                I didn't mention Pacquiao.
                I know mate, that's why I asked.. I had no reference point.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                  I know mate, that's why I asked.. I had no reference point.
                  Pacquiao and Mayweather are both ATG fighters, I don't understand what you're asking of me

Comment

• Possibly, but that has nothing to do with boxing. Anyway, I have an unpopular boxing opinion. I don't like 15 round fights. Even if it's an all-time classic, I still like shorter fights, so I don't mind boxing matches being shortened to 12 rounds and I wouldn't even object to the limit ever being shortened to 10, as some main events sometimes are anyway. I know this is considered blasphemy here, but that's how I feel.

Comment

• I'll push it a bit for the sake of unpopularity.

Sonny Liston would K.O. Wladimir Klitschko.

Joe Louis would K.O. Lennox Lewis.

Judah deserved to win against Matthysse, it was no robbery.

Floyd Patterson is underestimated.

People tend to score a fight for the bigger puncher, completely disregarding the actual scoring criteria.

Comment

Working...
                      X