Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the best fights in boxing not happening?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boxing is in need of a governing body greedy promoters are the reason these fights not happening

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      If you look at it logically, the reason is that it's too easy to avoid them. For both the fighters and the promoters. Until it becomes too difficult for fighters to make money any other way than fighting top competition, they will continue to avoid fighting top competition.

It's easy to blame this promoter or that promoter, but they all have a hand in it. They're all part of the same fu*ked up system. The promoters don't design the incentives, they just live by them. Granted guys like Arum and Haymon are far more responsible for this than smaller promoters because they have more power. But they are operating under the established logic of the sport as well, build stars up soft and match them even softer unless there's a truckload of money parked outside.

The biggest problem is that it's hard for anyone to make long term investment in the future of the sport when they might not survive long enough to see the return from it. So it's all about making money now, bleeding whatever you can get out of the game while you have the chance.

The balance is all out of whack in the sport. That philosophy is extremely destructive and has been eating away at the sport for decades. The promotional cold war is obviously very bad for the sport as a whole, but for a while at least, it was working out ok for the players.

And if you're a smaller player, forget about it. When you're trying to keep the lights on you're not going to gamble away the one or two stars you have because it's the 'right thing to do for the sport'. You're going to hold them close until you get a satisfactory return on your investment.

My two cents is that boxing needs a financial crash. The business landscape needs levelling. This might mean PBC going bust, or HBO withdrawing for good, or anything that sucks tens of millions out off the game. A big external shock is needed to bring all the players back to the same table again.

These dudes (1) have to be forced to work together to make money again, and (2) have to be forced to innovate. Both those things need to happen for boxing to move forward. A big financial shock is the surest way to bring it about. When these guys are desperately trying to put a series of multi-promoter tournaments together in order to make some dough, then you'll know we're going somewhere.
      Excellent post. I would only add that promoters get away with whatever the networks allow them. I think at this point exclusive network deals need to end. It limits the pool of available opponents while guaranteeing large purses for fights that are meaningless and easy.

Maybe having only one network would work so long as their programming was geared toward giving fans the best fights rather than building a star and having ratings based on "entertainment" and "performance" of the star against an easy opponent.

Comment

Joshua vs. Wilder.
        Kovalev vs. Stevenson.
        Rigondeaux vs. Lomachenko.
        Thurman vs. Spence.

Just to menton a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heffner View Post
          Lol...He just beat Abraham and everyone knows that's even after that victory, he's a prospect. Golovkin said earlier this year that Ramirez was too experienced right now. LOL...We disgree, it's okay. You don't need to explain yourself to me. Just be the promoter that you are and make boxing better. I'm not about to talk in circles. You know the expectations of guy like Garcia is much higher than Ramirez right now. And even if Ramirez kept defending his title against inferior opponents (hasn't defended yet), I'd criticize him the same.
          Dominic Britsch should't get title shots. He's Salka level. I respond to people when I disagree. I don't give them Red K's and leave lil messages. If you disagree then say it here and state your case. Like I just did with you. But just like I suspected, you really don't believe what you say because if you did you would've trashed the Britsch fight. Dude is not even domestic level. Berto is a former world champ coming off a W. And I'm not even a Garcia fan. I hate the dude.
          Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 08-22-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

UFC has surpassed boxing here in the states I don't think that is debatable anymore, I don't think GGG vs Kell Brook and Canelo vs Liam Smith combine will sell as much as McGregor vs Diaz 2 did (don't know the numbers yet but I'm sure it did well)

As for why these fights are not happening, BLAME THE FIGHTERS! It was Pacquiao and his Team that picked Vargas>Crawford. It was Canelo and his team that Decided to avoiding GGG for now and move back down 1 lbs

Fighters and their teams are the ones who pick who to fight next, not the Promoters! I do think those fights will happen eventually but will anybody still care about boxing by the time those fights happen? Becomes The Question!
            Last edited by sicko; 08-22-2016, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Because we keep buying the shytty ppv they bring us

Comment

If it's not the fighter, it's the promoter. If it's not the promoter, it's the fighter.

I don't believe Haymon would just let Garcia loiter around that long without offering him any fight. The problem is, Garcia, like other Haymon fighters, tasted getting large sums of money fighting guys like Salka. Haymon may have stopped offering him any because he can't afford the kind of money he's demanding. And now Garcia is in a dilemma, whether to retire or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  Dominic Britsch should't get title shots. He's Salka level. I respond to people when I disagree. I don't give them Red K's and leave lil messages. If you disagree then say it here and state your case. Like I just did with you. But just like I suspected, you really don't believe what you say because if you did you would've trashed the Britsch fight. Dude is not even domestic level. Berto is a former world champ coming off a W. And I'm not even a Garcia fan. I hate the dude.
                  I stated why I disagreed with you. It wasn't a little message. I still disagree with you.

1) I believe what I say. Ramirez just won the title. He got injured so the fight hasn't happened. Also, Garcia, at the time of facing Salka, had much higher expectations because he had accomplished more.

2) His first title defense...HIS FIRST TITLE DEFENSE. I used Danny as an example. I also stated that if Ramirez was to take the same route I would do the same to him.

3) You honestly think, an established fighter with a name (Garcia) should be fighting Berto with a loaded welterweight division?

Again, you seem to be more pissed about getting the red K. It's okay that we disagree. But Garcia and Ramirez are at two different points in their careers. Ramirez isn't a headliner, Garcia is and he's getting paid like one. WE CAN DISAGREE AND MOVE ON.... It's okay to disagree man.

Comment

"why would you fight each other if you can fight a salka?"

"it's about the bank being loaded!"

now, don't get me wrong, if i'm training my kid i'm fighting the salka's for the world for a million bucks and riding in to the sunset with my money and my son's health, but this is what's killing the sport. this is whty you get the mismatches.

and the complacency that comes with being able to fight an easy guy for a million bucks on HBO is what keeps the big fights from happening. mismatches have been inflated to the point that they're making guys huge money. they don't want the big, 50 50 fihts! they're better off fighting no hopers for two years than risking a loss and rebuilding.
                    Last edited by New England; 08-22-2016, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                      If you look at it logically, the reason is that it's too easy to avoid them. For both the fighters and the promoters. Until it becomes too difficult for fighters to make money any other way than fighting top competition, they will continue to avoid fighting top competition.

It's easy to blame this promoter or that promoter, but they all have a hand in it. They're all part of the same fu*ked up system. The promoters don't design the incentives, they just live by them. Granted guys like Arum and Haymon are far more responsible for this than smaller promoters because they have more power. But they are operating under the established logic of the sport as well, build stars up soft and match them even softer unless there's a truckload of money parked outside.

The biggest problem is that it's hard for anyone to make long term investment in the future of the sport when they might not survive long enough to see the return from it. So it's all about making money now, bleeding whatever you can get out of the game while you have the chance.

The balance is all out of whack in the sport. That philosophy is extremely destructive and has been eating away at the sport for decades. The promotional cold war is obviously very bad for the sport as a whole, but for a while at least, it was working out ok for the players.

And if you're a smaller player, forget about it. When you're trying to keep the lights on you're not going to gamble away the one or two stars you have because it's the 'right thing to do for the sport'. You're going to hold them close until you get a satisfactory return on your investment.

My two cents is that boxing needs a financial crash. The business landscape needs levelling. This might mean PBC going bust, or HBO withdrawing for good, or anything that sucks tens of millions out off the game. A big external shock is needed to bring all the players back to the same table again.

These dudes (1) have to be forced to work together to make money again, and (2) have to be forced to innovate. Both those things need to happen for boxing to move forward. A big financial shock is the surest way to bring it about. When these guys are desperately trying to put a series of multi-promoter tournaments together in order to make some dough, then you'll know we're going somewhere.
                      Good points bro.

Comment

Working...
                      X