Heavy bag

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy bag

Hi all

I started boxing 2 weeks ago and love it (even though it kills me) I go 2 times a week plus I have been lifting weights for 11 months.

My instructor said I have a powerful punch and I want to buy a heavy bag to put in my back garden to hang off a brick shed so I can workout on that at home. I am 212 pounds 6 foot and just wanted to know what weight bag I should buy.

Also what would you say I could do to make my punch even more powerful. Mike tyson said in a interview the way he built his power was from heavy bags when they get light get a heavier bag.

40 to 100 pound heavy bag which is definitely on the lighter side.

As for increasing power:

- do explosive exercises involving lats, legs and arms
    - punch through the target
    - use full rotation
    - land with your knuckles
    - actually try to throw hard

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
      40 to 100 pound heavy bag which is definitely on the lighter side.

As for increasing power:

- do explosive exercises involving lats, legs and arms
      - punch through the target
      - use full rotation
      - land with your knuckles
      - actually try to throw hard
      Cheers taken on board would u say maybe getting one just over 100 pounds then, because no one will be holding it and it would be hanging from the side of a wall.

Comment

I weigh about 135lbs and have a Everlast 150lbs bag...http://www.boxingbagcenter.com/Everl...avy-Bag-150-lb

This bag is just fantastic! I have used it for years and when I first started that 2 inch foam lining was a real wrist saver man! The one I have though, maybe someone can tell me why, has 6 chains that hold it up but the one pictured only has 4? But for sure get a 150lbs bag if you want to build power and don't want it to swing, you are a big dude and will be knocking the crap outta that thing in no time! Wrap your hands real real good and get a very sharp(I use 12 oz) pair of bag gloves!

And as a side note I also have a solid sand 70lbs heavy bag, no liner...just leather then BAM sand! That thing is no different from hitting a brick wall on a chain. So watch out for that! I guess you can also get a foam wrap for a heavybag to go on the outside though.

And if you are deadly serious about punching power(And enjoy aching alot) here is a trick from Earnie Shavers he picked up from Archie Moore, find a tree...get a suv tire or any tire that will fit tightly around it, wrap the tire around the tree(You have to take a saw and cut it at one place and may need to duct tape the snot out of it to keep it tight, the tree should be just a little wider than the inside of the tire so that the tire can't quite wrap all the way around it by about a inch), get a sledge hammer and beat the crap out of that tire(s)! NOTHING will increase your punching power like than that exercise, period. Not even hitting the heavy bag. But nothing will beat the crud outta your hands like that one either lol
        Last edited by XionComrade; 02-25-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X