Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather Jr vs Casamayor in 2000 (@130)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Yes, I agree. But, I also think the 135lb Chavez could do everything Castillo could, only better. I'd make Floyd a slight favorite over Chavez at 135....very slight.
    No doubt about that.

Comment

HA!!! 135LBS?.......Floyd vs Duran??????? Sell out the House! Who Wins? Ray.

I take Roberto, TKO late!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
        Casamayor didn't have the power to keep Floyd off him. Floyd has the skills to get to him but it would have to be an ugly bout on Floyds part. If he decides to box with him anything can help. Floyds bigger and stronger and he would need to fight Casa and be decisive against him. He'd need to cut the ring along with bull rush him under control also faint and counter quickly and once inside he has to work. Lots of techniques that Floyd isn't used to doing. It would be a tuff tacticle match for Floyd and Casa would have to win the chess game without getting hurt. Very tuff match but I'd favor Floyd! Ray
        Like this post here. Lots of ideas of what would actually happen in the ring.

Comment

wmute...

You're assuming that Casamayor is gonna dictate to Floyd, while that's probably what Floyd does best- dictate how a fight will go.

How the hell is Casamayor going to deal with what the 2000 Floyd offers him? Why would Floyd have to become the one who gets drawn out of his best game?

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
            Actually mayweather fought a southpaw as early as his 2nd pro fight, and he had fought a total of 3 before his title shot (don't remember if chavez was number 2 or 3). He would not face any other lefty until Corley i believe.

He used to engage with lefties back then too, but at 130 he was more aggressive with orthodox fighters too, so that is maybe where you get the impression.

That being said. I agree that Casa would have been a tough style for him (that is why i made the thread), and I don't know whether PBF had all the tools to deal with that at the time.
            You are correct I forgot about Giepert and Saunders being southpaws and I mentioned the southpaw Chavez was like 0-7 but actually he was 1-13.

Comment

Floyd had experience with 3 southpaws at the time. All far from elite. They were all journeymen at best.

Comment

He fought in the J.Os and Open class so he saw southpaws and the Uncle & Pop found someone to work with in the gym so his options were clearly defined. To much is made out of fighting southpaws sometimes you fight them just as their conventional if their not using southpaw tactics. Sometimes lead rights work well, some guys who move forward quickly into left hooks. The problem is when a fighter doesn't trust his training and questions his ability to be in charge. If that occurs he deserves to be the loser. My son didn't do well against a lefty he saw in the state alot and he struggled winning and actually lossing to him a few times until he fought him as if he was a conventional stanced fighter and then kicked his butt as he always should have but even well schooled boxer have bumps in the ring and some lessons are hard to learn.
                A southpaw that has a good right hook could possibly bother Floyd because he likes to slide to his left along the ropes and its usually his first laterial move and that would be moving into the southpaws right hook. Ofcourse his opponent has to connect too!!! HA!!! Ray

Comment

As I said some guys add more into the mix than whats really there. Again a really good southpaw who has a punch can mess up your timing and take your confidence. Before that happens you need to take some chances before your offense is gone. The first thing I think of when dealing with a southpaw is back him up with my jab! What ever way he moves will dictate what punches come next. I mentioned an old school southpaw a few weeks back named Stan Harrington on the forum he didn't win a title but he beat alot of guys who won titles. He was crafty, strong and could punch so you needed to be cautious with him. This guy fought Ortega, Gavillan, Robinson and other top notch WW and won and lost to them. Styles make fights and who ever can make adjustments has a better chance to win. Sometimes you need to wait for anpother shot at a guy because during a fight you just can't pull it off. Floyd may start off trying the traditional lead rights or hooks or moving counter clock wise. To me I start off just like hes a traditional style and beaware that shots are coming out of a normal sequence. Its not easy! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    wmute...

You're assuming that Casamayor is gonna dictate to Floyd, while that's probably what Floyd does best- dictate how a fight will go.

How the hell is Casamayor going to deal with what the 2000 Floyd offers him? Why would Floyd have to become the one who gets drawn out of his best game?
                    No i am assuming that out of all of floyd's potential opponents, Casa was the only one to have a decent shot at forcing Floyd to do something he did not plan on before the bell. This would make the fight very interesting, but probably not pretty.

This is because of Casa's skills, even more because of his ring IQ, but also because Floyd was less experienced back then, and this must have made a difference.

Let me reiterate though, as I stated many times in this thread, my money would be on PBF.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      As I said some guys add more into the mix than whats really there. Again a really good southpaw who has a punch can mess up your timing and take your confidence. Before that happens you need to take some chances before your offense is gone. The first thing I think of when dealing with a southpaw is back him up with my jab! What ever way he moves will dictate what punches come next. I mentioned an old school southpaw a few weeks back named Stan Harrington on the forum he didn't win a title but he beat alot of guys who won titles. He was crafty, strong and could punch so you needed to be cautious with him. This guy fought Ortega, Gavillan, Robinson and other top notch WW and won and lost to them. Styles make fights and who ever can make adjustments has a better chance to win. Sometimes you need to wait for anpother shot at a guy because during a fight you just can't pull it off. Floyd may start off trying the traditional lead rights or hooks or moving counter clock wise. To me I start off just like hes a traditional style and beaware that shots are coming out of a normal sequence. Its not easy! Ray
                      Hey maybe you have a different take on this, so I am curious. Lots od trainsers tell people to lead with the right against a lefty, but lefties still lead with their jab against orthodox... why is that? because lefties are used to face orthodox anyways? So they do not need to switch? But then again, they jab against other lefties too, so... well I never got it. Why do you think it is like that?

Comment

Working...
                      X