Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New pro at our gym whos sparred with Margarito..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think the guy you're talking about is Javier Cubedo.
    http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...4071&cat=boxer

found this accidentally. i was youtubing some training videos of margarito and found a video of this guy, happened to look him up on boxrec, and his number of fights/weight class was the same as your description

Comment

Originally posted by kryo View Post
      Haha I was bull****ting with the guy after the gym as he was waiting for a ride and I asked if he would show me some stuff and he told me sure, that's what we are there for. I can't wait for Monday.. I'm going to try and get in the ring with him. The dude is really a class act.

I love fighters from Mexico. I haven't met one that isn't nice as ****.
      sounds good. but remember to be on guard in sparring, this guy sounds nice but he comes from a tough gym from what u have said and guys from mexico etc are notorious for sparring like they fight lol

but im sure you would know that if you have met more of them lol

Comment

Originally posted by quincy_madskull View Post
        i think the guy you're talking about is Javier Cubedo.
        http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...4071&cat=boxer

found this accidentally. i was youtubing some training videos of margarito and found a video of this guy, happened to look him up on boxrec, and his number of fights/weight class was the same as your description
        he said the guys had fought all his pro bouts in california, this dude fought em all in mexico

Comment

30 rounds a day!!

what a beast

Comment

Yeah his name wasn't Javier and he had 4 wins with 3 knockouts, plus all in California.

Good lookin though.

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by kryo View Post
              He comes from Mexico, has fought all his professional fights in California and had fourty some amateur fights before turning professional. He used to train at the rival gym of where Margarito trains and says he frequently traveled there to spar with all of them. One time in particular, he was at camp with Margarito for a fight (I didn't ask him which one ) but he gave me a couple things to think about that you guys probably would like to hear:
              • Margarito trains 30 rounds a day. He said at camp, he mostly did 10 rounds of sparring, 10 rounds of heavy bag work, and he'd split up the rest of the rounds into mitt work, double end bag, and I'm assuming speed bag. Then he would do his normal strength/cardio exercises.
              • At the gym, the coach (who I cannot remember because his name is extremely Mexican) tells new kids that once they enter, they are entering Hell. Apparently, they work nonstop in the gym to build endurance and cardio, which is why Margarito can throw so many punches. Anyone will spar anyone in the gym, and when they do, they do not take it lightly. They actually try to hurt each other and apparently the coach does not care because it toughens the fighters up.
              • Lastly, Margarito insists on sparring with 12oz gloves. I can't remember if he said Margarito also uses 12oz gloves, but I know for a fact he said his opponents do.

I'll get the name of the professional at our gym but he's at least 6'1 or 6'2 and looks 180-190lbs. Apparently he fights at 154lbs.. I mean the guy is built like Margarito. Our coach even had the balls to ask if they were related (they look really similar). He's 4-0 with 3KO's, all from body shots in the first.

More info and pics on Monday?

Edit: He also says that it doesn't matter where Margarito hits you, it feels like someone is throwing bricks at you. He would put his gloves up to block and Margarito would bang away at his forearms and he said they were some of the hardest shots he's ever felt. He really spoke of him as an idol.
              Hey Kryo, this is some funny ****. I know Marg, his trainer, Javier Capetillo, is my father-in-law, and I'm also a boxing coach. Take a look at some of my pics. What gym do you go to?

Comment

That dude Cubedo is a light welterweight and has 4 KOs

Comment

that sounds like extreme intensity! do the fighters get worn down? is the gym open to amatures too? thats awesome though

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                    Hey Kryo, this is some funny ****. I know Marg, his trainer, Javier Capetillo, is my father-in-law, and I'm also a boxing coach. Take a look at some of my pics. What gym do you go to?
                    Wow that's awesome man! How does Marg look training right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                      Well, unfortunately, he hasn't returned since I posted this.. apparently he has an ACL problem? He was involved in a car accident down in California and has to have surgery on his right leg. I asked my coach if he heard anything about him and he hadn't. Either he flaked out or something happened.. I don't really see why someone would commit to a gym, especially a professional, and then leave out of no where.. not telling anyone why. Ah well, the guy was nice, had some cool stories, and I wish the best for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X