No announcement yet.

Worst Corner Stoppages

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Corner Stoppages

I know we often talk about bad ref stoppages, sometimes early, sometimes late but what about when corners have stopped fights too early or too later?

Monzon v Benvenuti II instantly springs to mind. I have no idea what Nino's team were thinking, even as the ref was shaking his head and not going to call the obvious push/trip a KD, his team throws in the towel. And it's only the 3rd or 4th round. That was horrendous.

In terms of fights going on too long, I'm going to have to call up Ali v Holmes. It was obvious by round 5 Ali had nothing and I mean NOTHING. Dundee should have stopped it there and then. Ali had worked miracles but the man could barely even walk inside the ring, let alone keep away from some dangerous punches.

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post

In terms of fights going on too long, I'm going to have to call up Ali v Holmes. It was obvious by round 5 Ali had nothing and I mean NOTHING. Dundee should have stopped it there and then. Ali had worked miracles but the man could barely even walk inside the ring, let alone keep away from some dangerous punches.

What do you guys think?
    I'll never forget Pacquiao vs Margarito. It ended Tony's career. Tony tried to be brave but you could sense his heart failed him, but he never quit. Robert Garcia let him down. It was infuriating.

Comment

Shane Mcguigan pulling out Spike O'Sullivan vs Eubank jr. I'm still confused about that.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        I know we often talk about bad ref stoppages, sometimes early, sometimes late but what about when corners have stopped fights too early or too later?

Monzon v Benvenuti II instantly springs to mind. I have no idea what Nino's team were thinking, even as the ref was shaking his head and not going to call the obvious push/trip a KD, his team throws in the towel. And it's only the 3rd or 4th round. That was horrendous.

What do you guys think?
        Monzon-Benvenuti II stoppage was ok I think. I saw an interview from 25 years after that fight and Nino was ok with it. Said Monzon hit like a mule.

Comment

Corrales vs Mayweather: it took to long to throw the towel.

Comment

Luis collazo V thurman was a recent one

The cut wasnt even that bad, and they pull out just as collazo has success? and is on the verge of dropping keith/possibly stopping him?

almost like they recieved the haymon phonecall

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
              Monzon-Benvenuti II stoppage was ok I think. I saw an interview from 25 years after that fight and Nino was ok with it. Said Monzon hit like a mule.
              Nino musta lost his mind because he was pissed as hell and was pushed over, not to mention he was perfectly fine and coherent. I'm glad Nino's come to terms with it but that entire sequence of events had no place in a professional boxing ring:

Monzon pushes Nino over
              The referee flails around, unsure on whether or not to call it a KD
              The corner throws in the towel
              Nino kicks the towel back out
              Due to european rules the fight is automatically stopped
              Chaos ensues

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
              Corrales vs Mayweather: it took to long to throw the towel.
              I think Corrales, as a prime fighter at the time, was highly regarded so it was possibly difficult to have stopped such a fighter earlier.

Originally posted by TheMexHurricane View Post
              I'll never forget Pacquiao vs Margarito. It ended Tony's career. Tony tried to be brave but you could sense his heart failed him, but he never quit. Robert Garcia let him down. It was infuriating.
              Agreed.

It was clear at one stage, can't remember which round that Margy was no longer in it. Pacquiao was eating him up.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame View Post
                Shane Mcguigan pulling out Spike O'Sullivan vs Eubank jr. I'm still confused about that.
                Na, Spike had had enough of Eubank by that point. Physically he probably could have carried on till the end but psychologically Eubank had beaten him.

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                Luis collazo V thurman was a recent one

The cut wasnt even that bad, and they pull out just as collazo has success? and is on the verge of dropping keith/possibly stopping him?

almost like they recieved the haymon phonecall
                Man, I can't even remember this well, might have to re-watch it.

Comment

Tyson-McNeely

Comment

Among recent fights have to say Eubank Jr - Blackwell.. Blackwell's corner had to throw in the towel after 6-7 rounds

Another freakish one was Lennox Lewis vs Oliver McCall.. His corner stood there pissed instead of pulling the plug..
                    Last edited by BoxingFan85; 07-21-2016, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X