No announcement yet.

Serious Robbery Here...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    I thought Benn should have been DQ'd for the foul, but it was painfully obvious that Barkley had no other chance to win that fight.
    I think he should have got a warning, and then a point deducted, maybe 2.

The blows didn't even land, and Barkley had no reaction to them..

I just think it's absurd to think this is a robbery or Barkley should sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      I think he should have got a warning, and then a point deducted, maybe 2.

The blows didn't even land, and Barkley had no reaction to them..

I just think it's absurd to think this is a robbery or Barkley should sue
      what's the point if the guy is knocked out but I see both sides of the story here, hell Marciano knocked out JJW with the best right hand ever thrown let when Walcott is clearly done for Rocky follows up with a short hard left hook but he was gonna throw that anyway, we have seen this kind of thing countless times, Rocky did not do it in a dirty way but I can see how some may interpret it that way, Benn's was dirtier there and it seems a real foul but yeah, Barkley was done for.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
        what's the point if the guy is knocked out but I see both sides of the story here, hell Marciano knocked out JJW with the best right hand ever thrown let when Walcott is clearly done for Rocky follows up with a short hard left hook but he was gonna throw that anyway, we have seen this kind of thing countless times, Rocky did not do it in a dirty way but I can see how some may interpret it that way, Benn's was dirtier there and it seems a real foul but yeah, Barkley was done for.
        When a guy is going forward with momentum, yes. It happens. It's not always a DQ.

What Benn did though, was deliberate. At that point, the fight should have been over with a DQ enforced.

All this talk about Barkley was done is irrelevant. If the officiating was on, the fight would have been over, regardless of who was winning. They could have had a rematch and Benn would have had to calm down on his dirty tactics. When cheaters aren't punished, it hurts the whole sport.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          This is why I never liked Benn. He would cheat like hell and loved rabbit punches. Barkley should have sued over this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78Rci47wcs
          You are correct. Nigel Benn was a notorious cheater. Gerald McClellen is in bad shape today because of him, and Benn got a very generous long 20 count when he got knocked out of the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingnut712 View Post
            You are correct. Nigel Benn was a notorious cheater. Gerald McClellen is in bad shape today because of him, and Benn got a very generous long 20 count when he got knocked out of the ring.
            Exactly. One of the dirtiest fighters ever. In just the first round, he hits Barkley with two fouls. It would have only gotten worse. Iran did make a small comeback there and without the 3 knockdown rule and a referee who did his job, could have definitely been a different result.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              I don't see why everyone is all worked up about this fight..

The punches when Barkley was down, and little to no effect.. He still gets stopped in 1.
              Errr, because it's against the rules...

Also, how can you possibly know what extra effect they had on Barkley? Maybe they threw his equilibrium off just that little longer...That stuff does have an effect.

But, it literally makes no difference whatsoever. It's a major foul. That's all that matters. It is a very clear violation of the rules of boxing to hit someone while they are down. It is a disqualification level offence to do it twice. At the very least, it's a point deduction. He didn't even get a warning for the second one, which was a very bad one in the standard scheme of things.

It probably wouldn't have changed the fight. He might have just been stopped the next round, or the round after that...or maybe not. A foul like that would normally have had a warning, or point deduction, for the first time he did it, then he should have been given time for the second one while Benn got a point deduction at the very least. That's standard boxing rules for a foul like that. A deliberate low blow, headbutt, or punch while down and you are allowed five minutes to recover as per the rules. That could have changed things, but it still makes no difference because that's not the point. There are rules in boxing and they should be upheld, particularly things like blatant punches while a fighter is down, deliberate headbutts and low blows. That **** isn't cool and they are against the rules for a very good reason.

You're missing the point entirely with the above points.

Low blows rarely have a fight changing effect. Same with deliberate headbutts. Does that mean they shouldn't be penalised? Does that mean they should be completely ignored and the ref shouldn't say anything about them and just shrug his shoulders while thinking 'oh well, no point in warning him. It's not like it changed the fight'?

What stopped the fight was the stupid three knockdown rule. He might have been stopped the next round, or Benn might have been hurt again and we might have had an amazing war for the ages. Who knows?

But, none of that changes the simple fact that Benn committed a flagrant foul that is a direct violation of the rules and should always be penalised appropriately...just like any other foul. Would it have made a difference if it was a different type of foul? He didn't even get a warning.

Let me ask this; do you think Cortez should have ignored the headbutt that Ortiz deliberately leapt in to Mayweather with? It's very unlikely if it would have changed the outcome of the fight whatsoever. Should it still have been penalised? Of course it should have! It's a bloody obvious foul.

Should Barrera have been penalised for hitting Marquez when he was down? Didn't change the outcome or have much effect on Marquez. Should the ref have then ignored it? Of course not! He took a bloody swing at him while he was on all fours trying to do extra damage to a fighter incapable of defending himself and clearly against rules, just like Benn did.

Should Mares have been penalised in the Agbeko fight for the million and one low blows? Or was the ref right to basically ignore them for the whole fight? Probably didn't have that much effect overall, so maybe he was right to not do anything. Right?
              Last edited by BennyST; 10-28-2015, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Great thread, definitely should have been some Points knocked off.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                  Errr, because it's against the rules...

Also, how can you possibly know what extra effect they had on Barkley? Maybe they threw his equilibrium off just that little longer...That stuff does have an effect.

But, it literally makes no difference whatsoever. It's a major foul. That's all that matters. It is a very clear violation of the rules of boxing to hit someone while they are down. It is a disqualification level offence to do it twice. At the very least, it's a point deduction. He didn't even get a warning for the second one, which was a very bad one in the standard scheme of things.

It probably wouldn't have changed the fight. He might have just been stopped the next round, or the round after that...or maybe not. A foul like that would normally have had a warning, or point deduction, for the first time he did it, then he should have been given time for the second one while Benn got a point deduction at the very least. That's standard boxing rules for a foul like that. A deliberate low blow, headbutt, or punch while down and you are allowed five minutes to recover as per the rules. That could have changed things, but it still makes no difference because that's not the point. There are rules in boxing and they should be upheld, particularly things like blatant punches while a fighter is down, deliberate headbutts and low blows. That **** isn't cool and they are against the rules for a very good reason.

You're missing the point entirely with the above points.

Low blows rarely have a fight changing effect. Same with deliberate headbutts. Does that mean they shouldn't be penalised? Does that mean they should be completely ignored and the ref shouldn't say anything about them and just shrug his shoulders while thinking 'oh well, no point in warning him. It's not like it changed the fight'?

What stopped the fight was the stupid three knockdown rule. He might have been stopped the next round, or Benn might have been hurt again and we might have had an amazing war for the ages. Who knows?

But, none of that changes the simple fact that Benn committed a flagrant foul that is a direct violation of the rules and should always be penalised appropriately...just like any other foul. Would it have made a difference if it was a different type of foul? He didn't even get a warning.

Let me ask this; do you think Cortez should have ignored the headbutt that Ortiz deliberately leapt in to Mayweather with? It's very unlikely if it would have changed the outcome of the fight whatsoever. Should it still have been penalised? Of course it should have! It's a bloody obvious foul.

Should Barrera have been penalised for hitting Marquez when he was down? Didn't change the outcome or have much effect on Marquez. Should the ref have then ignored it? Of course not! He took a bloody swing at him while he was on all fours trying to do extra damage to a fighter incapable of defending himself and clearly against rules, just like Benn did.

Should Mares have been penalised in the Agbeko fight for the million and one low blows? Or was the ref right to basically ignore them for the whole fight? Probably didn't have that much effect overall, so maybe he was right to not do anything. Right?
                  I agree. I don't see how you just jump to talking about the result. The result has nothing to do with the fact that Benn got away with blatant and imo, intentional fouls. He did the same thing in the McClellan fight which ended McClellan's career. Oh but I'm sure he's a nice guy. Whatever. I'd rather be around an SOB who didn't hit me in the back of the head.

I remember Barrera doing that in that fight and trying to hit Morales in the back of his head as hard as he could. I thought Barrera was otherwise a pretty clean fighter. Maybe he just hated those two guys. Either way, it was wrong and should be penalized, regardless of the reason.

I was rooting for Golota against Bowe and I think he would have beaten "Big Daddy", had he not fouled him like a hundred times. Whatever the reason for his odd behavior, the fouls had to be punished.

The bottom line is that any sport has to punish cheating as much as possible. Every little infraction won't get punished, but the more fighters are allowed to get away with, the more credibility the sport loses.

Comment

Barkley looked spent but the punch while Barkley was on all fours was painfully blatant and Benn should of been DQ'd and I don't think you could argue against it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                      Barkley looked spent but the punch while Barkley was on all fours was painfully blatant and Benn should of been DQ'd and I don't think you could argue against it.
                      It was one of the most blatant fouls I've ever seen. Definitely DQ worthy and the referee should have been fined at least.

Comment

Working...
                      X