Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roach's padwork all wrong to prepare someone for counter-punchers ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
    It's a pity you stopped.
    I quit cause my son dosn't like boxing and I'm forced to take him to the Tae khon do studio. he's 7 and my wife works grave yard as an RN so I have to watch him at night when I trained my nephew she was a student so I never had that problem

Comment

All of Roach's fighters are offensive minded, and the majority have a high guard instead of lots of head movement.

I don't think it's that Roach doesn't want to do that, it's that Roach thinks it's the best way to get success out of a fighter. I don't even think it's the padwork, it's everything the foot movement, the training the mindset is all offensive the majority of Roach's fighters can't operate going backward. Even Manny has to turn fighters and move forward to have success (which he does exceptionally make no mistake). Khan definately can't fight backing up, their defense is to get out of range with their feet, Khan can't turn like Manny so ends up looking like he's running and they can't fight on the inside.

Some coaches love offensive fighting, other are different. Emmanuel Steward loves fighters with a strong jab, some height and leverage like Lewis, Hearns, Klitschko so lots of his fighters tend to fight the same way even if they don't have the same level of success that Lewis, Hearns and Klitschko did because of their attributes (Cintron and Taylor for example)

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
        When I use to train my nephew what I did was I would have him throw a combo than I would throw a quick punch with the mitts I would train him to duck, slip or block that punch and he would than come back with a counter of his own. That is the proper way Roach is to slow to do that. I trained my nephew to 2009 National champ and he dislocated his shoulder in the national golden gloves to end his carrer it would have been a good fight Raushee warren vs Hector Luna which I know my nephew would have clean his clock, Had power of a 141 pounder fighting as a flywieght. That is why I know Hopkins faked that dislocted shoulder crap. The Labrum is usually torn when the shoulder is dislocated requiring surgery. He dislocted it again 8 months after his surgery sparring Joesph Diaz which was an even match after 1 year off. Doctor told him not to box again. So thats the end of that and I quit coaching
        there is only one way to dislocate a shoulder. that much is true

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          I don't think any trainer could train Pacquiao to beat Marquez at this point, he just has him worked out.

Where Roach did look bad was the Khan v Peterson fight, even though I felt Khan won, it's clear that Roach hasn't improved upon any of Khan's weaknesses, some of the things he did looked desperately amateur.
          I think Pac could have had a different gameplan v Marquez, that's where I think Roach failed/hurt him.

Nothing changed from the first 2 fights, even though pac carries the weight better and has significantly more pop at 147.

Comment

I dont know if Roach is even physically capable of throwing a counter to teach Pacquiao better defense.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post
              First, look at these vids and tell me what are the stark differences in each coaches mittwork.

Fast-fwd to .15 sec & 5:51 of vid

No disrespect man but you are taking one sampling size of one video you are watching from Roach and you think he isn't qualified to train Pac or that he gave him the wrong instruction?

You use the mitts for many different things. I use them to team movement but I also use them to teach proper punching technique, counter punching, footwork and simulated sparring.

I think Manny is on such a level that he doesn't need to go over the basics of head movement, I think Manny knows how to do that. He teaches Manny more to his strengths, which is the in and out style of movement he gives that frustrates opponents so much.

The reason Marquez gives Manny so much trouble is because JMM is a MASTER counter puncher and knows how to fight south paws perfectly.

Let's give JMM some credit instead of acting like Roach doesn't know what he doing.

Comment

I think Pac could have had a different gameplan v Marquez, that's where I think Roach failed/hurt him.

Nothing changed from the first 2 fights, even though pac carries the weight better and has significantly more pop at 147.
                Im not sure Pac does have more pop at 147. Shane , Clottey and Marg all went 12 rounds. Oscar and Cotto were the only late stoppages and they were due to being draining to make weight. Pac hasnt shown Ko power since the Hatton fight.

I agree though that he should have won the 3rd Marquez fight more convincingly seemings as everything was in his favour but Roach couldnt come up with the right tactics and even if he could I doubt Manny could implement them.

Comment

Roach sucks....dude is a overrated fraud....Manny would still be putting his nike up dude's asses if he didn't have Frauddy imo

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                    I don't see Pacquiao as an adaptable fighter, imo he is fairly one-dimensional in terms of style.

Originally posted by PD21 View Post
                    Im not sure Pac does have more pop at 147. Shane , Clottey and Marg all went 12 rounds. Oscar and Cotto were the only late stoppages and they were due to being draining to make weight. Pac hasnt shown Ko power since the Hatton fight.
                    I don't think he has more power at 147, he just finds Marquez much harder to hit with big shots.

He does have unreal power for a little man though, ask Margarito's orbital bone.

I agree though that he should have won the 3rd Marquez fight more convincingly seemings as everything was in his favour but Roach couldnt come up with the right tactics and even if he could I doubt Manny could implement them.
                    Agreed.

Comment

Roach suits Pacquiao's style, Pacquiao does a good job implementing what they do in their pad work into the fight. Slipping and coming back with his own shot. You see them work on this time and time again.

Last edited by Bee Keepz; 01-05-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X