Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Top Rank-Golden Boy, Floyd-Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Top Rank-Golden Boy, Floyd-Canelo

by Robert Morales

Just for fun, BoxingScene.com asked Richard Schaefer on Tuesday if there is any light at the end of the tunnel regarding his and Golden Boy Promotions' feud with Top Rank Inc., one that could perhaps allow for a fight between Lucas Matthysse and Manny Pacquiao. The former is promoted by Golden Boy, the latter by Bob Arum's Top Rank.

We only asked him about this because of Matthysse's sensational third-round stoppage of Lamont Peterson on Saturday in Atlantic City, and Schaefer's own declaration that in Matthysse, "We have a new Pacquiao."

Schaefer remained cool, but his response said it all.

"No, as I've said before, I've tried too many times over the past five, six, seven, eight years to work with Arum," Schaefer said. "He's impossible to deal with and I have no interest in dealing with the guy. I'm over done with it, done with him. And I've moved on."

Schaefer spoke in who-needs-Top-Rank tones.

"The fact is, we deliver exciting event after exciting event, you know, with thousands of people in attendance and in some great venues here in the United States," he said. "We are very proud of what Golden Boy stands for, what we go for and the opportunities we provide to our fighters. At this point, honestly, I couldn't care less about Top Rank, particularly Bob Arum. [Click Here To Read More]

Lol at Arum, "the fight has to be on HBO" and not the "second network". Guess what, Arum? They used to be on HBO, and you were moving the goalposts the to make it difficult for them to score and you continue to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by megas30 View Post
      Lol at Arum, "the fight has to be on HBO" and not the "second network". Guess what, Arum? They used to be on HBO, and you were moving the goalposts the to make it difficult for them to score and you continue to do so.
      If anything it's the other way around? Golden Boy had been moving off HBO and locking down Showtime for a while now. The guy who runs Showtime (Stephen Espinoza) used to work for Golden Boy.

Can you name one fight hat is happening on Showtime that isn't being promoted by Golden Boy?

Comment

I think the real problem Arum has with Golden Boy is that Golden Boy represents the "slaves" who became "the masters." Oscar, Bernard, and Floyd, are businessmen, which 'ol school fighters never were. They are boxers who have taken control of their destinies. 'Ol school promoters don't like that! They want their fighters to worry about fighting, and never worry about "the books."

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
          I think the real problem Arum has with Golden Boy is that Golden Boy represents the "slaves" who became "the masters." Oscar, Bernard, and Floyd, are businessmen, which 'ol school fighters never were. They are boxers who have taken control of their destinies. 'Ol school promoters don't like that! They want their fighters to worry about fighting, and never worry about "the books."
          You have a great point and I agree there.

Comment

doesn't matter what weight the fight would b @ as soon as weighin's done Alvarez puts on 20 #'s, Floys, mayb 5...2 much of a size advantage...FM only boxes when he has the aces & every1 knows it...

Comment

arum knows very well chicken floyd doesn't fight a fighter who can beat him...chicken floyd-canelo would be next to impossible...chicken floyd will fight matthysse..

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
                Best point ive heard in months.

Comment

Mayweather a coward everybody knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by v.cassiusali@ya View Post
                    arum knows very well chicken floyd doesn't fight a fighter who can beat him...chicken floyd-canelo would be next to impossible...chicken floyd will fight matthysse..
                    So its Floyds fault that there ISNT a fighter out there who CAN beat him?
                    STFU Hater..accept it...accept it..accept it..enjoy it

Comment

Working...
                    X