No announcement yet.

Boxing's Dark Side - Assault In The Ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing's Dark Side - Assault In The Ring

Assault In the Ring revisits a boxing scandal considered one of the sport's darkest hours, and traces a man's despairing journey following his alleged involvement in a criminal plot. The documentary examines new evidence about this boxing match turned 30-minute assault, and reveals much more about the pre-fight activities of Luis Resto, his trainer Panama Lewis and the athletic commission representatives.

On June 16, 1983, undefeated prizefighter Billy Collins Jr. set out to fulfill every boxer's dream of fighting in the world's most famous arena - Madison Square Garden. Collins' opponent, Luis Resto of the Bronx, moving up from welterweight, had his own dream of rising to the occasion in front of hometown fans. But what began as a match that Nashville native Collins was favored to win changed both athletes' lives - ending Collins' career dreams and landing Resto in prison.

Resto seemingly reached a fighter's ultimate goal by upsetting Collins, but his post-fight victory celebration was short-lived when it was discovered that the padding had been illegally removed from Resto's gloves by his trainer, Panama Lewis, before the fight. Resto was subsequently incarcerated and banned from the sport, while the brutally beaten Collins went into a tragic downward spiral.

Resto gives his account of the story in the documentary. Lewis, whose official career as a trainer came to an end that night, was also subsequently banned, and speaks for the first time in Assault In The Ring about the events of the fight and their impact.

full fight

Comment

anyone take the time to give this a view?

Comment

Was thinking about this the other day. Collins ' face was swollen but he stucj it out. Felt so sorry for the lad. Poor poor fella.

Comment

Cotto/Black Power nuthuggers in 3....2.....1.....

Comment

Originally posted by way2strong View Post
            anyone take the time to give this a view?
            Yeah. It was a big deal. HBO made a special a while back. Resto and Lewis fucked up. I remember a scene where Resto is attempting to apologize to Collins and his family but they weren't having it. I don't blame them.

Comment

Damn just watched the whole thing. It was heavy man, I felt bad for resto most of the film even though I blame him for not speaking up there were much much more evils at play in the whole. "Panama" is just one of the shadiest people ive ever seen his lil convo at the bar sure didnt help his case . And probably the most interesting thing is collins' father sure jr. Got a beating of a life time but assumin his widdow is right and his father refused the fights just to cash out I put jr's death on the father not Resto. The eye dr that examined him said he could fight hell arum still offered the kid fights

Comment

Both are scum and should be in prison, being someone's/people's **** toys.

Comment

If I remember, Collins Jr. suffered irreparable damage from that fight which ended his boxing career. He took his own life soon afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustane View Post
                    If I remember, Collins Jr. suffered irreparable damage from that fight which ended his boxing career. He took his own life soon afterwards.
                    They interviewed the optometrist who checked out collins 6 months after and he said colling would have been able to fight, which brought up the ideas that his father saw more money in lawsuits and prevented his son from fighting. Which in turn caused him to get into a depression

Comment

Working...
                    X