No announcement yet.

Jimi Hendrix Appreciation Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimi Hendrix Appreciation Thread

It's a little known fact (unless you frequented Drunk Lang when I did) that the emo cenobite is a huge Hendrix fan. Have been ever since I was a wee lad as the green teefs would say. One of my favorite pleasures in my adult life is unwinding after a particularly long work week with an ice cold bottle of scotch and some goddamn Jimi Hendrix tunes. Sometimes I'll try and play along with him just for the fun of it, but typically there aren't enough pieces left of my sorry ass once he leaves me behind to pick up and make an island with.

Thinking back, I can't recall a Jimi appreciation thread. Which, while sad, also doesn't register as much of a shock given the fact that most regular users in this lounge consider the inane lyrics of people like Anthony Kiedis ("Bob Marley, poet and a prophet. Bob Marley taught me how to offit. Bob Marley, walkin' like he talk it. Goodness me, can't you see, I'm gonna cough it") or the guitar playing of Lil' Wayne (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg) to be the height of poetry or musical creativity.

Enter this thread - Created by a Jimi fan for Jimi fans.

Wanna embed a rare live cover Jimi did of a Dylan track? Post it here. Wanna talk about how underappreciated Noel Redding's guitar work or Mitch Mitchell's drumming was? This is your thread. Wanna share a rare Jimi story, like the time his playing upstaged Eric Clapton and caused him to walk off stage like a pissy tyke? We got you covered.

You're welcome to post whatever you want as long as it pertains to the badassery of Jimi Hendrix in some shape, form, or fashion.

So let me get this started with a rather easy touch : Embedding a notorious live performance of Purple Haze in which Jimi showcases his ability to play with his teeth like a goddamn beast.

Some would argue that Jimi's live performance tricks such as playing behind his neck, playing with his teeth, or lighting his guitar on fire were cheap parlor tricks.

The scientific community refer to these people as ****s.

Comment

All I used to listen to on deploymemt

All along the watch tower

Comment

Comment

Comment

I'm generally not a fan of cover songs. I'm not sure what it is, but I find covering another artist's work to be the quickest way to lose my attention. I realize all artists have influences and covers are a great way of expressing gratitude towards those influences or putting different touches on classic works - I'm just not that in to them overall.

That said, Jimi covering something is the exception to that rule. Often times I find his covers to be much better than the original artist's version.

Yes, including Bob Dylan songs.

That said, the Hendrix estate has taken down way too many live videos of Jimi covering other artists on youtube, including my favorite cover of Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone. Other versions still exist on youtube, but the quality just isn't that good on them, honestly.

****ing ****s.

Anyway, here's Jimi killing Chuck Berry (not an easy feat for any man, for sure) via friendly fire on a cover of Johnny B. Goode.

Comment

I would also be remiss to not include his infamous rendition of the star spangled banner at Woodstock given the fact that July 4th was just yesterday.

(Given how terrible the filming is on this I can only assume it was filmed by a blind man.)

Comment

Comment

the world stands in shock as a braindead hippie reveals that he listens to jimi hendrix

Comment

Hell yeah!

Nice thread, B!

Castles made of Sand is my personal favorite.

Glad you listen to but...

Comment

Working...
                    X