Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Roy Jones deserve to be considered an elite ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• he was probably the most naturally skilled fighter i've ever had the privilage to watch - he could have done a little more to completely confirm his place though. Wins over the likes of Eubank/Collins/Benn/calzaghe/darius M (all of which prime jones would beat) and retirement after ruiz and people would be talking of him like a god. I think he's a prime example of an unbelievably skilled fighter that wasn't really thinking about going out of his way to make the big fights until it was too late. To put it in perpespective imagine if mayweather was going around fighting the quality of guys jones fought all too often

Comment

• Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
      To put it in perpespective imagine if mayweather was going around fighting the quality of guys jones fought all too often
      People would praise Floyd for fighting great competition?

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
        Classic "I dont know who he was, so he must not be good" argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          pfffff... NSB would be spammed with the words "police officer" and "firefighter".

I am not debating who had the better resume here... but if Mayweather was to ever fight the worse that Roy fought, we would not be hearing the end of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED View Post
            Classic "I dont know who he was, so he must not be good" argument.
            no its simply fact. He fought alot of lesser competition and didn't go out of his way to fight the best - he was great but its just fanboyism to suggest he only fought the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
              pfffff... NSB would be spammed with the words "police officer" and "firefighter".

I am not debating who had the better resume here... but if Mayweather was to ever fight the worse that Roy fought, we would not be hearing the end of it.
              I am confused Mayweather has fought much worse than Roy fought

Comment

• Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                no its simply fact. He fought alot of lesser competition and didn't go out of his way to fight the best - he was great but its just fanboyism to suggest he only fought the best.
                Just because you don't know who Merqui Sosa, Reggie Johnson or Julio Cesar Gonzalez are doesn't mean they aren't legitimately tough, dangerous, and credible fighters who are MEANINGFUL wins for Roy.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post

If Floyd stayed in a division and cleaned it out the way Roy did at light heavy, I doubt people would care that much if he ended up fighting a few guys like that.

Comment

• he beat hopkins and toney man common! and hes the man yo!

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      If Floyd stayed in a division and cleaned it out the way Roy did at light heavy, I doubt people would care that much if he ended up fighting a few guys like that.
                      I agree, people who dominate divisions need easy fights inbetween everyone is guilty of it. You can't fight top fighter after top fighter and still come out on top. It just doesn't happen.

Marvin Hagler fought Caveman Lee for the title.
                      Joe Frazier fought Bob Foster, Ron Stander for the world title.

There's some from my favourite fighters, it's just one of them things.

A lot of fighters do take breaks via non-title fights though.

Comment

Working...
                      X