Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emanuel Steward: I think Tommy and Ray are superior fighters than the fighters today"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh, I say. Old people always think **** was better back in their day.

Like that fool saying Joe Frazier would cut through the Klitschko brothers. Joe was tiny! so were all the guys by todays standards.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post

Like that fool saying Joe Frazier would cut through the Klitschko brothers. Joe was tiny! so were all the guys by todays standards.
      There is truth to what you say but at the same time, I think that Leonard and Hearns were huge WW at that time and I think would dominate today.

I can't see Pac or Floyd being able to avoid that buzzsaw called Hearns with his length and power and Leonard was stronger than people give him credit for. He was one of the greatest combination of speed, power and intelligence this sport has ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
        this is floyd 5th weight division and 147 hearns and rays 1st weight class. kind of unfair IMO.
        Actually.... Back in ray's day welter where true welters...meaning they weighed in the day off...thus they pretty much weighed around the or less than the 147 limit. Today, is different. A person can train down to make a weight, then add a lot of weight before fight time, meaning, Floyd probalby always was a jr welter or Welter, when he entered the ring.

Comment

Chuvalo isn't a fool, that's ignorant on your part. He probably has some reasons for his opinion but they weren't shown in the video.

It's also quite superficial to think just by size.
          Last edited by Vadrigar.; 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM.

Comment

his opinion, although he is highly biased about the old-school fighters.
            Did you just call Ray and Hearns 'old school' fighters? How ****ing old are you? Three?

Most people on this site that aren't three years old actually grew up with those guys. They are as contemporary as anyone in boxing. You know they were fighting through the eighties and nineties?

They didn't fight in 1920! For ****s sake! Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns old school.....

Comment

Why not watch them fight and maybe you'll understand why everyone, apart from rabid fans of Floyd and Pac, would say they would totally dominate everyone in and around WW today.

Pac gets caught with Cotto's jab easily and caught with quite a few punches in general yes? How is he going to avoid two of the fastest and most powerful WW's the sport has ever seen. Hearns would stop him with the first right hand he landed I'm sorry to say and he's just way too quick, tall, too skilled and powerful for Pac or Floyd to deal with.

Leonard is much the same. He could outbox or outslug either guy. Sit back and pick Pac off and then slam home a brutal left hook. Anyone that thinks the WW's of today beat those two guys are out of their minds. It was a different time of vastly superior fighters.

Comment

his opinion, although he is highly biased about the old-school fighters.
                SRL wouldnt beat Pac. When SRL was slightly past it, he was losing to guys like terry norris. There was a thin line between victory and defeat for SRL types.

Comment

Originally posted by Morales_ View Post
                  Pacquiao loses to both unless he can get Ray to trade with him, then he might stand a chance.

Mayweather loses a close decison to Hearns. I see Mayweather having problems with Hearns jab. Mayweather has some problems with Leonard early on, makes some adjustments and coasts to a wide UD.

Mayweather is the most skilled fighter of all time. Mayweathers prime is at 130, in a P4P sense hes ahead of Leonard and Hearns.
                  Huh? What? Do mine eyes deceive me?

Ray Leonard, the guy who traded shot for shot over fifteen rounds with both Duran and Hearns, who is so far ahead of Pac in terms of one punch KO power it's not funny (hell, he's miles ahead of everyone bar one or two guys) as well as Hagler at 160 and yet Leonard is going to suddenly crumble under Pac's shots?

I really don't think so.

Man, this board is going really loopy. Leonard had one of the toughest beards in the sport. If Hearns can't put him down, no one's putting him down. The only guy that's getting stopped if they trade is Pac.

If Leonard lands a flush shot, Pac goes. If Pac lands a flush shot, it stuns Leonard but no more.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    Why not watch them fight and maybe you'll understand why everyone, apart from rabid fans of Floyd and Pac, would say they would totally dominate everyone in and around WW today.

Pac gets caught with Cotto's jab easily and caught with quite a few punches in general yes? How is he going to avoid two of the fastest and most powerful WW's the sport has ever seen. Hearns would stop him with the first right hand he landed I'm sorry to say and he's just way too quick, tall, too skilled and powerful for Pac or Floyd to deal with.

Leonard is much the same. He could outbox or outslug either guy. Sit back and pick Pac off and then slam home a brutal left hook. Anyone that thinks the WW's of today beat those two guys are out of their minds. It was a different time of vastly superior fighters.
                    I'm a big pacfan but I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                    X