Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Mayweather/Mosley failed to exceed Pacquiao/Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
    The sport isn't going under water.

That keeps getting repeated year after year after year. It's getting pretty old at this point.

I remember years ago when I couldn't care less about boxing and I heard it. Now I'm a huge fan of it and I still hear it.
    HBO Boxing is on thin ice my friend. They havent been making the best the decision and the only time they make money is off of Pacquiao and Mayweather. If HBO boxing goes, the mainstream lifeline goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 2501 View Post
      Thats sucks. Floyd is supposed to be the biggest draw. Mosley has had NUMEROUS PPV outings. I mean, this fight was promoted as the biggest fight the last couple of years. It was promoted as the biggest fight of the decade. A super SUPER fight. Schaefer said that this fight was the most heavily promoted fight in the history of Golden Boy. They were utilizing avenues which never had been used before to sell the fight. Not only that, Mosley and May are American fighters. 1.2 Millions is still great for boxing, but I have to admit. It does kind of worry me a little because this fight should have done much more than that. How many buys would it have done is Mosley never would have stepped into that ring to confront Floyd?

You can try to compare those numbers to Pac/Clottey, but lets be real. That fight didn't even have a 24/7. Only had 2 months of half ass promotion. Clottey doesn't even have a fan base. Yet it still managed to do 700K. If a comparison is going to be done, it has to be to Pac/Cotto. 1.5 million PPV buys. Pac/Cotto did 1.5 millions buys even though:

Floyd said Cotto was not a PPV attraction
      The 24/7 was "boring"
      2 non American fighters

After Mayweather/Pacquiao, we will not have any superfights for a very long time. Its going to be a very unsure time for Boxing. HBO needs to carefully use its budget to promote new fighters.
      A lot of you here are just plain pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Buffman View Post
        If they say this fight did anything more than 1.1 they're liars.

This was a B level fight from the start.

Translation: If they say it did more than I want it to do they're lying.

Comment

imo this fight wasnt heavily marketed. real boxing fans knew about it but the casual fan wasnt really aware of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Money View Post
            imo this fight wasnt heavily marketed. real boxing fans knew about it but the casual fan wasnt really aware of the fight.
            Are you kidding me? They've done pretty good marketing, especially during the Superbowl.

Comment

Im lost when were the final numbers released?

Comment

why exaggerate the numbers ESPN reported Pac v.s Cotto did 1.2 even tho Cotto is a bigger draw then Mosley

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
                  The sport isn't going under water.

That keeps getting repeated year after year after year. It's getting pretty old at this point.

I remember years ago when I couldn't care less about boxing and I heard it. Now I'm a huge fan of it and I still hear it.
                  And can I get an Amen to that. Boxing is not dying, MMA still wont go head to head with a boxing PPV, they will lose everytime, in fact, I think MMA has peaked, most of its fans are bandwagon jumpers who never watched or didnt know **** about boxing to begin with. Boxing will be around long after MMA has lost its luster, the only reason it jumped into the limelight the way it did is that Dana White is a marketing genius.

Comment

25, are you implying that HBO boxing will be dead once Pac and Floyd are gone?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Money View Post

wait, what? The fight was heavily marketed and promoted. they had a 24/7, filmed an expensive gladiator commercial that was heavily circulated, and was talked about on ESPN more than any other fight, not to mention that floyd used pac's name to promote this ppv.

casual fans knew about the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X